Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

EC'S that are different

znd824znd824 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
edited March 2010 in College Admissions
I made a thread about this a few days ago, but lost it. So, my question is if you started with a portfolio of about 3,500 at the age of 13, and finish with around 35,000 at 16 going on 17, which is me, is an EC that a college would like? Next year would colleges like that? ANYBODY ELSE HAVE EC'S THAT ARE DIFFERENT AND EFFICIENT? ANY COMMENTS WELCOME!!!
Post edited by znd824 on

Replies to: EC'S that are different

• tophopefultophopeful Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    I don't know, but I think that it would help for business schools.
  • NiteStrikerNiteStriker Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    3,500 of what? I'm not really understanding what these numbers mean.
  • Seahawks506Seahawks506 Registered User Posts: 2,526 Senior Member
    like an investment portfolio? Also, don't do something just because it'll look unique or impressive for colleges. Just do what you'd want to do.
  • raideraderaiderade - Posts: 2,499 Senior Member
    I have a few peculiar ECs.
  • znd824znd824 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    3,500 dollars originally, and yes it is my passion and I am pursuing an undergraduate/graduate degree in business. I have other threads about my grades and such, but those weren't that popular in what are my chances
  • broncosfan212broncosfan212 Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    I would not put this down as an extra Curr.
    1. because they will expect you to pay ALL of that money for your education
    2. IT ISN'T an EC.
    I'm not paying for my education, my parents are so I dont understand bullet point one. Bullet point 2, an EC is something not in school that you do with your time, so yes It technically is an EC.
  • jamjamjamjamjamjam Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    I disagree. This is a very unique extra curicular that will be looked upon as a big achievement by business colleges. If you love business, i recommend you apply to Babson College. Such an amazing business school
  • motion12345motion12345 Registered User Posts: 1,584 Senior Member
    Your ROI is extremely impressive (and I mean EXTREMELY)...That definitely counts as an EC (as long as you have others) and will definitely help you.
    thank you for the validation, its appreciated greatly. What if somebody wasn't as successful as me, but still started investing at a young age.Would that be considered an EC as well thats looks good?
    buump? 10char
  • navyFIELDnavyFIELD Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    Investing at a young age is already unique and looks good. Since you made quite a lot of cash, its even more impresssive. I can count the number of people I know who invested in anything at a young age on one hand, but maybe thats just me. :P
  • Jersey13Jersey13 Registered User Posts: 4,622 Senior Member
    900% return in 3 years with a $3,500 initial investment under the current economic conditions? I smell a ****.
    This account was started when I was 4 and my father just bought 10 companies which brought in the initial surge of cash, after the collapse I went down but never under 10k. If you think i'm a **** thats fine, but some companies are and were prone to the massive crash, and no I am not at liberty to disclose my companies but just trust me.
  • madison90madison90 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Oh, so your Dad bought this stock for you. You were 4. So what if your money was at $3,500 when you were 13? You were still 4, when your Dad made the decision for you, and basically he did your entire portfolio for you, even if you claim that is is yours. Maybe the portfolio is yours, but you made no thinking in it. You just sat there and watched.
This discussion has been closed.