Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

does type of high school diploma matter?

sincerelyydavidsincerelyydavid Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
edited March 2010 in College Admissions
does the type of high school diploma matter after you graduate from college? like, there's the regular diploma, then the advanced regents diploma, advanced regents diploma with recognition, and the local diploma. does the type of high school diploma you get from high school matter in the real world when you're actually looking for jobs after college? or does only your college diploma matter? why would someone want to get an advanced regents diploma if it doesn't matter so much?
Post edited by sincerelyydavid on

Replies to: does type of high school diploma matter?

  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,338 Senior Member
    Once you have graduated from college, it is highly unlikely that anyone would ever care what kind of HS diploma you had earned. Unless you completed it at a technical HS and as a result were certified in a trade such as automechanics, and you were working in an industry where that kind of training were important.

    Some states offer multiple kinds of HS diploma that can affect which of that state's public community colleges, colleges, and universities will admit you. An "advanced diploma" might mean that you are prepared to enter the public universities, but a "regular diploma" might mean that you also have to have really good ACT/SAT exam scores in order to be admitted to a public university without spending a year or two at a community college.

    For details about how this works in your home state, you need to ask your guidance counselor or visit the website of your state department of education.
This discussion has been closed.