Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Suicide by rejectees?

2»

Replies to: Suicide by rejectees?

• toledotoledo Registered User Posts: 4,970 Senior Member
    I'm a mother and it makes me sad to think that someone would even contemplate suicide over a college. I can understand "disappointment", but many people on this web site have dealt/will deal with being turned down by their first choice schools. They will go on to find happiness at another school. Please trust me on this. Many people come back to this web site, saying they can't believe how happy they are at their second-choice schools.
  • fineartsmajormomfineartsmajormom Registered User Posts: 1,191 Senior Member
    paint_me_purple really captured the issue. Kids don't generally commit suicide because of one incident...they already have depression and one or two bad moments can send them spinning out of control. While kids lucky enough not to suffer from depression do have their disappointments and some hurt with more or less intensity these bad moments don't lead to thinking of self destruction in a serious way. Paint_me_purple has a great attitude and shows that she/he is able to see the disappointments as just that..painful and sad moments in life but they are not validation of self-hating, selfdestructive behavior. Paint_me_purple knows depression but also knows how to prevent the really dangerous linking of events to negative/self-destructive thoughts. BUT look around you this week...if you see a friend or relative that you know fights negative feelings already they are going to be affected by bad news in a much more serious way....don't be silent..reach out, show them that they are loved and cared for and needed no matter what comes in the mail this week. Just because you get good news or you are able to take rejection in a healthy way doesn't mean everyone has those internal resource and make this the week to support someone else.
  • R124687R124687 Registered User Posts: 1,513 Senior Member
    We can SEE, in front of us, right here on CC HOW incredibly stressful this process is for SO many kids. As one who has close acquaintances and relatives with issues such as depression, panic attacks, etc...I URGE anyone reading this, and having ANY thoughts ("I just don't feel like myself right now", "I'm so stressed..when will this be over", "I'm crying all the time", "I just don't care any more")...to tell your parents you really want someone (besides them) to talk to about this. Do not think that suicidal thoughts are the only reason to seek therapy. It's VERY important that you NOT let this go so far that you're scurrying around trying to seek help if things get very bleak. Because it's hard to find a therapist quickly. I'm an adamant proponent of "self help" (toughen up, get over yourself, get on with it!).

BUT... there are times when that just does NOT do it. I've seen first hand that these thoughts can affect people you NEVER thought would be affected...and it can be hidden until there is an explosion...and that therapy DOES help! Do not waste time, DO seek out a professional who can make you "feel better". There should be no stigma attached to it. It's as "legit" as cough syrup for a cough.

If you're reading this, and you say "that sounds like me"...and talking to your friends or family is not an option, or not helping...make a phone call.
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    Find supportive people who care about you, or professionals who know how to deal with people having suicidal thoughts, if you feel bad after you receive your college news. This time of year (spring in the Northern Hemisphere) is actually the peak time of year for suicide in Temperate Zone countries. Suicide at this time of year may have nothing whatever to do with school issues or college application results, but it is a definite risk, so seek help if you need it.

Good luck to all of you still waiting for college news. One young person I know who is still waiting for a bit more news is using his time constructively by finding part-time work in the field he loves, and lining up summer work for the summer--work he can take regardless of where he enrolls this fall. That's something to do besides worrying about admission results.
2»
This discussion has been closed.