Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What does "You are among a select group of students that USC wants to admit" mean?

JazFizzle10JazFizzle10 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
edited April 2010 in College Admissions
I just received my rejection letter from USC and on the bottom it says:
You are among a select group of students that USC wants to admit (transfer) in 2-3 semesters and that he can set up an appointment with a counselor sometime during June to plan it all out.

Does this mean that you have an easier chance of getting in as a transfer?
Post edited by JazFizzle10 on

Replies to: What does "You are among a select group of students that USC wants to admit" mean?

• sandrasccrsandrasccr Registered User Posts: 267 Junior Member
    possibly i would call the admissions office and ask
  • FauxNomFauxNom Registered User Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    I think you can set up something called an articulation agreement where you map out a plan to go to community college and then have an essentially guaranteed transfer if you perform well enough in community college. I don't know the details, but if you post this on the USC forum, someone will be able to tell you.
  • MeSsIaH.MeSsIaH. Registered User Posts: 646 Member
    ah, my college counselor actually mentioned something like this to us. Colleges want their average sats, etc. to look as high as possible. Thus, they'll guarantee transfers to their low stat admits so that they aren't included in the averages. Evil, no?
  • Beretta9mmBeretta9mm Registered User Posts: 599 Member
    ^Yes, it's an evil thing to do to guarantee transfers to low score students who really want to go. However, it is not evil to just outright reject them.
  • JazFizzle10JazFizzle10 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    well ive been told its based on legacy
  • Georgia GirlGeorgia Girl Registered User Posts: 3,771 Senior Member
    That letter does not guarantee admission. A student will still have to take required courses and have a high GPA and other qualifications. The student will then have to apply again as a transfer student to a specific school within the university.
  • NesterNester Registered User Posts: 862 Member
    This is a good thing. Just as the letter says, it means that if you are interested in transferring to USC, you are invited to formulate a plan with a USC admissions person that will allow you to acheive this goal. This will give you the opportunity to find out exactly what you have to do to be able to transfer in, and takes a lot of the guess work and insecurity out of the situation.
  • JazFizzle10JazFizzle10 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    So is it possible to transfer after a year?
  • NesterNester Registered User Posts: 862 Member
    The person who can answer that question is the person from the Admissions Office with whom you make the soonest possible appointment. Although you are going to the appointment to get information, it would be good to present yourself well, almost as if it were an interview. Good luck! From the letter you've received, it sounds as if you will be presented with a step by step way to transfer in as a first or second semester soph.
This discussion has been closed.