right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
2 DAYS until our "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. Ask your question NOW if you are a registered member!

What does "You are among a select group of students that USC wants to admit" mean?

JazFizzle10JazFizzle10 78 replies13 threads Junior Member
edited April 2010 in College Admissions
I just received my rejection letter from USC and on the bottom it says:
You are among a select group of students that USC wants to admit (transfer) in 2-3 semesters and that he can set up an appointment with a counselor sometime during June to plan it all out.

Does this mean that you have an easier chance of getting in as a transfer?
edited April 2010
9 replies
Post edited by JazFizzle10 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What does "You are among a select group of students that USC wants to admit" mean?

• sandrasccrsandrasccr 261 replies6 threads Junior Member
    possibly i would call the admissions office and ask
    · Reply · Share
  • FauxNomFauxNom 1185 replies35 threads Senior Member
    I think you can set up something called an articulation agreement where you map out a plan to go to community college and then have an essentially guaranteed transfer if you perform well enough in community college. I don't know the details, but if you post this on the USC forum, someone will be able to tell you.
    · Reply · Share
  • MeSsIaH.MeSsIaH. 619 replies27 threads Member
    ah, my college counselor actually mentioned something like this to us. Colleges want their average sats, etc. to look as high as possible. Thus, they'll guarantee transfers to their low stat admits so that they aren't included in the averages. Evil, no?
    · Reply · Share
  • Beretta9mmBeretta9mm 573 replies26 threads Member
    ^Yes, it's an evil thing to do to guarantee transfers to low score students who really want to go. However, it is not evil to just outright reject them.
    · Reply · Share
  • JazFizzle10JazFizzle10 78 replies13 threads Junior Member
    well ive been told its based on legacy
    · Reply · Share
  • Georgia GirlGeorgia Girl 3139 replies632 threads Senior Member
    That letter does not guarantee admission. A student will still have to take required courses and have a high GPA and other qualifications. The student will then have to apply again as a transfer student to a specific school within the university.
    · Reply · Share
  • NesterNester 805 replies57 threads Member
    This is a good thing. Just as the letter says, it means that if you are interested in transferring to USC, you are invited to formulate a plan with a USC admissions person that will allow you to acheive this goal. This will give you the opportunity to find out exactly what you have to do to be able to transfer in, and takes a lot of the guess work and insecurity out of the situation.
    · Reply · Share
  • JazFizzle10JazFizzle10 78 replies13 threads Junior Member
    So is it possible to transfer after a year?
    · Reply · Share
  • NesterNester 805 replies57 threads Member
    The person who can answer that question is the person from the Admissions Office with whom you make the soonest possible appointment. Although you are going to the appointment to get information, it would be good to present yourself well, almost as if it were an interview. Good luck! From the letter you've received, it sounds as if you will be presented with a step by step way to transfer in as a first or second semester soph.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity