Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Admission Stats 2010--Read 'Em But Don't Weep

Replies to: Admission Stats 2010--Read 'Em But Don't Weep

• MillancadMillancad Registered User Posts: 5,941 Senior Member
    ^^^^

And Harvard's app (as well as Dartmouth's) is ridic easy if one doesn't do the optional essay.

One can also do copypasta on essays already written.
  • fearemanfeareman Registered User Posts: 475 Member
    People who say that 600+ scores on SATs are average are well... idiots. The average score is roughly a 500.
  • shutterfleeshutterflee Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    It's been frustrating for me, 2350 SAT, 780-800 on 4 SAT II's, NMF, 12 AP's thru senior year, 3.9 uw gpa, most rigorous courses, 2 varsity sports incl national competition in one and rejected by HYPS. The hard part is the majority of the 12or so kids from my school getting into these schools are either legacies or URM or have some special situation ($$$$$), and many of them are lower academic achievers including some that are way lower. The whole deal with take the hardest courses, challenge yourself, do well and you've have all the choices seems kinda hollow. I understand bringing in athletes or students that excel in a particular area, but legacies really haven't acheived anything themselves.

My other question is, I know students frequently stretch their heritage and claim some % of some minority, does that enable the college to count them as that minority?
  • jwg257jwg257 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Since 30-some odd schools around the country have become need-blind (columbia, penn, vanderbilt, and duke to name a few) and have done away with loans (now no-payment required grants) many students who could never pay off loans/never thought of being able to attend a top-tier school are now not only able to afford a top level education, but are also able to walk away unscathed by debt.

I have a strong feeling this has a lot to do with top-level schools getting massively more applicants
  • mediopollitomediopollito Registered User Posts: 478 Member
    shutterflee: in response to your last questions, YES. i could rant on and on about how a girl from my school was "1/8th Mexican" and got accepted to a top Ivy with sub-par stats and terrible ECs. she's middle class, and CLEARLY caucasian. but she had the records to prove that her great-great-grandmother or whatever was Mexican, so she got in.
  • blue49blue49 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Yes, life not always fair.
  • jfl2010jfl2010 Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    Here is what a lot of people don't realize.
    Lets take Duke. The SAT range of admitted students is 1340 to 1530. (M+R) Thus if you have lets say a score of 1440 you believe that you should have an "average" chance of acceptance. (So if Duke admits 20% of all applicants then you have a 20% chance of admission) Thats why a lot of people apply. But according to the Director of Admissions of Duke here are the other factors that weigh heavily upon a decision:

Race
    Legacy
    Residency
    Significant Financial support
    Performing Arts
    Athlete
    First Gen College
    ED

So in reality, if you do not possess any of these attributes you would need to be north of the 75th percentile (1530) to have any reasonable shot of admittance based on your academic credentials.

All of the applicants have great essays, interesting extras, Great GPA and Great SAT.
    But quite honestly, thats not what Duke is looking for.
    So if you have a 1440 SAT (or 2160 M+R+W) and have great essays, EC's 3.8 GPA (UW)
    but lack any of the aforementioned "qualities" your real odds are about 3% to 4%. If enough people understood this I wonder how many applications these "elite" schools would receive.
  • erikadizzleerikadizzle Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    It's a complete toss up, honestly. No one knows what the AdCom wants because they all want different things at different times. I thought I had absolutely no shot at Princeton. My grades and ec's were spectacular but my SAT score was ranging a 1900 and I had no athletic ability to compensate.

I planned to take the Kaplan course but I came up short on money, despite working over the summer. I still got in. I know it's probably some sort of miracle but I'm terribly thankful. The AdCom's goal is to find applicants who they think will thrive within their school. The criteria they prioritize is not only a mystery to applicants, but subjective to each school and to each person in Admissions.

Ivy Leagues may be highly ranked but they don't guarantee success. Only the individual can do that--and, with the necessary motivation and drive, that individual can do it at Harvard or at a state school like Rutgers. College acceptances shouldn't define people, especially since, when it comes down to it, they really don't even know you.
    I think you have helped make my point. Your prior post on another subject stated that you are Chilean/German, First Gen college, and URM.
    Had you not had these qualities, I am not sure what the result would have been.

But from reading your profile you posted, you sound like an amazing person and I wish you all the best at Princeton.
  • 10mwil10mwil Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    It does seem to me (a high school senior this year who applied to Dartmouth and Cornell, rejected at one, guaranteed transfer at Cornell) that many of the top schools do encourage students who have no chance to apply. I applied to 21 schools and almost all of them put forth the obviously untrue "everyone stands a chance" thing--except Vanderbilt. The Vandy admissions officer who gave the information session was very clear: she literally said not to send SAT II scores if they aren't over 700, and that what they look for is A's in the hardest classes--not just that you challenged yourself. She didn't beat around the bush or make it seem like everyone actually has an equal shot. I really appreciated that and I wish that more schools took that approach.

I don't regret my choices to apply to many top schools, as I am pretty happy now, but I do think that ALL schools could save money, stress, and time for themselves and applicants if they made their criteria explicitly clear. Rejection really does hurt!
  • itryitry Registered User Posts: 548 Member
    wow thats crazy about that 1/8th story
    for all I know im completely Asian but found out that I am 5% white (English). it would seem pretty weird having a typical asian name and listing myself as white
  • katytibbskatytibbs Registered User Posts: 516 Member
    A colleague of mine was raving about how accomplished his HS junior daughter was, and how high her SAT score was and how she is getting mailngs from top level schools. He was encouraging her to apply for an Ivy. I told him my son's story (class of 2009, rejected/waitlisted at all reach schools such as UMich, Duke, UVa but honors at all schools he was accepted to.)

He was surprised at my son's story given my son's scores and grades- his daughter's scores are lower than my son's. He went to a state school and thought his daughter would do better. Conclusion: I think some of the answer is that people are fooled by marketing campaigns and don't really investigate. Plus they want to live through their kids, as said earlier.
  • ayeeeconnieayeeeconnie Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    i thought this thread was extremely interesting to read.

read them, but don't weep. just because schools rejected you does not mean ANYTHING. one school may not want you, but another school is BEGGING you to go to theirs.
    I am very happy as things turned out. As you have experienced, my child has scholarships and honors acceptances from some very selective colleges. So in the end she is very happy to be going to her favorite school even though she was denied at PD and WL at Penn. She gave the denials about 5 minutes of lament and never broke stride.

My only regret is that they were able to get her to apply in the first place. I feel like I have added to the number of applications they have received and as a result even perpetuated the (dare I say it?) fraud they impose on college seniors each and every year.

I don't think though, thats its parents living through their kids. (I guess for a few it is) I think its approaching the whole process with the idea that you will be judged on your merits and not those factors you do not control.

Lets try this disclaimer on the applications:

****Please be advised that while your essays may be brilliant and you possess the academic credentials and activities that place you squarely in the middle of our accepted applicant pool, your race, athletic ability, artistic ability, legacy status, measure of giving, residency,and your status as first gen to go to college will weigh significantly on our decision. As a result, your academic credentials need to be above the 80th percentile of admitted students if you possess none of the aforementioned traits in order to have a fair chance of gaining admittance*******

Lets see how many "qualified" students apply then?
  • ayeeeconnieayeeeconnie Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    they just simply get too many overqualified applicants! you need that ooomph-factor to get in.

it makes the people who get in THAT MUCH happier though :)
This discussion has been closed.