Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Extracurricular pursuits

arcus1arcus1 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
edited May 2010 in College Admissions
Among my extracurricular interests is my love of programming. In this field I have attained two major accomplishments: the authorship of my own multi-player video game (multi-player in the sense that two people can play it at the same time on the same computer) and the co-authorship of a program currently being used at a Massachusetts corporation. I would like to list these two achievements on my college application, but I cannot help but wonder if the former achievement would signal to an AO an undesirable fascination with video games (and, yes, I do play a lot of video games).

So what do you guys think? Should I exclude my accomplishment in the video gaming field in favor of my other accomplishment? Or should I include both?
Post edited by arcus1 on

Replies to: Extracurricular pursuits

• NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    Include both. The colleges that factor ECs into admission want video game designers as well as students talented in other fields.
  • lolcats4lolcats4 Registered User Posts: 3,203 Senior Member
    By all means include both!! Half of my extracurricular activities involved video games (design, balance design, beta testing, coding modifications) and I got into my dream school and had no problem getting into ivies, etc.
  • light10491light10491 Registered User Posts: 1,174 Senior Member
    Include both, have a diverse array.
  • glassesarechicglassesarechic Registered User Posts: 5,487 Senior Member
    Include both. Yes, you play a lot of video games, but you're not putting down "1500 hours playing World of Warcraft." You have meaningful, legitimate ECs in these activities.
This discussion has been closed.