Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Junior year is about to end...

HOMR45456HOMR45456 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited June 2010 in College Admissions
So all through high school I've had good grades. I've always been in honors classes and have always received good grades, meaning I've never had anything lower than a B. My school is very good compared to other schools in Massachusetts, but on the grand spectrum, its not what would be considered elite. I got a 1680 on the SATs but plan on taking them again in the fall. Also, I have ACTs in two weeks. My school isn't very lenient regarding AP classes (its very difficult to qualify as a sophomore) and there isn't much freedom concerning the progression of core classes. I currently have a 3.28 GPA (I'm not sure if its weighted because my school has never disclosed it with me and the calculations they use are pretty weird).

BUT, heres my real problem. This year I'm doing well in all my classes except two. AP biology and Algebra II. In AP Bio I've maintained a C/C- average all year. In Algebra II I'm fighting to get a C. Right now its probably slightly under a 70. So that being said, there are four schools I'm really interested in and plan on applying to:
-Cal Poly SLO
-UNC-Wilmington
-University of South Carolina (Columbia)
-University of Georgia (Athens)

Now here are my real questions:
-How will colleges perceive these grades?
-How will these grades affect my chances of getting in?
-Even though I'm not doing well in these classes, will my grades from Algebra I and sophomore year biology have any influence?
-Will my grades from other clases overshadow them?

Any help, opinions, or input is greatly appreciated
Post edited by HOMR45456 on

Replies to: Junior year is about to end...

• glassesarechicglassesarechic Registered User Posts: 5,487 Senior Member
    Just a question--why are you applying to Wilmington from out of state?
  • fogcityfogcity Registered User Posts: 3,228 Senior Member
    Cal Poly is quite competitive for in-state application. It is very competitive for out-of-state. With its particular focus on technology, low grades in math and science are likely to be fatal.

I'm not familiar with the other colleges on your list.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,037 Super Moderator
    Those C's are killers. For UGA your GPA is in the bottom 10% of students accepted. For USC the bottom 25%. You'll also need to get your test scores up. Have you checked with your parents on whether they can afford to pay out of state college rates for you?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,599 Forum Champion
    Why are you applying to out of state publics?

Can you pay full freight? Schools like SLO and UGa, etc, are not going to help you with costs.

Will your parents pay all the costs of your education? Have they given you a budget?
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
    Here is the profile for 540; My junior sons biggest reach. If you plug in your own numbers, be sure to use a "UC GPA".

Academic Tracker - Meet College Admission Requirements - High School Class Selection
  • poipoi Registered User Posts: 2,427 Senior Member
    I think that UGA and Cal Poly will be very tough. USC is also somewhat iffy. Don't know on UNC Wilmington. Some others to possibly check into are George Mason, Towson, Alabama, LSU, Mississippi, Arizona, Arizona State, Tampa and High Point (NC). Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.