Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Fs Freshman Year..

IlyanaIlyana Registered User Posts: 472 Junior Member
edited July 2010 in College Admissions
Hi,

I started off my Freshman year brilliantly, with straight As. However, by the start of my 2nd quarter, I became unexplainably sick (unfortunately, there are no doctor's notes). My semester grades had dropped a bit but not drastically. However, I received an F in a semester class and it's now an official part of my transcript. By third quarter I had a mix of As and Fs. I transferred schools because mine wasn't very understanding of my illness.

Since then my illness has disappeared and I've received straight As. I have also retaken the failed class and received an A, though it wasn't at the same school so the F will probably not be removed from my transcript.

My question is, will this be a huge factor in my admissions? Will colleges (my #1 being Brown) feel that I'm incapable of dealing with their work? Also, will they see my third quarter grades on my transcript? And finally, do you think they will contact my previous school in order to find out why I left and thus find out my less than disappointing grades?

For the record, I'm a rising sophomore.

Thanks!
Post edited by Ilyana on

Replies to: Fs Freshman Year..

• LuminouzzLuminouzz Registered User Posts: 1,885 Senior Member
    An F is a pretty big problem for an Ivy League school. You need to explain it somehow, or get rid of it. How did you end up with a mixture of As and Fs?
  • IlyanaIlyana Registered User Posts: 472 Junior Member
    Well I'm glad the F occurred in Freshman year rather than any year after.

I had a mix of As and Fs because while I was sick I was still trying to get good grades in my classes; worked for some, not for others.

Also, I don't think there is a way to remove it from my transcript...
  • GenericName101GenericName101 Registered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    Have your counselor write a note with your app. to explain it. that will help.
This discussion has been closed.