Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Laptop for programming?

stripes44stripes44 Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
edited March 2011 in College Computers
I'm getting heavy into computer programming and it looks like compsci could be a possible major/minor. Any suggestions on a new laptop that will serve well for me?

(I use Java, VB, C++, php, ect...)
Post edited by stripes44 on

Replies to: Laptop for programming?

• excelblueexcelblue Registered User Posts: 1,840 Senior Member
    As a CS major, here are my thoughts:

- Large screen with high resolution: get at least 1440x900; the screen real estate will allow you to comfortably have documentation and code display at the same time, which will be a huge boost to your comfort. If you can get a Full HD screen (1920x1080), it'll be worth every penny of the $200 extra.

- Good keyboard: hey, you're typing all the time :)

- Battery life: you're gonna need it for those hack days

My personal recommendation goes out to either the Dell Latitude E-series or the Lenovo Thinkpad T-series. Those laptops are in the $800-$1200 range and are rock solid in durability while having excellent keyboards and battery life. I also recommend the Asus UL-series if you're looking for something a little lighter and cheaper, but I really think you'd benefit from a larger screen.
  • bakkarabakkara Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    I agree with excelblue above. I hope you aren't even thinking of a Mac because there are still some programs for CS out there that aren't in Macs (and I'm not sure about you but I don't like partitioning my computer into 2 different OSes).
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Registered User Posts: 22,762 Senior Member
    Running Linux and/or Windows in VMs is a piece of cake on a Mac.

Most of the CS professors at my son's uni use Macs.
  • BainchodrateBainchodrate - Posts: 2 New Member
    Dixons voucher code get 10% off all Laptops, Desktops & Netbooks over £299 by clicking here and entering code XPC10 at the checkout.

Dixons-Dixons voucher code
This discussion has been closed.