Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

HP Touchsmart TM2 for college?

restlessabandonrestlessabandon Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
edited February 2011 in College Computers
Hi, I've recently started my search for a laptop for college.
I've never owned a laptop so I am kind of new to the tech specs and whatnot but my HP desktop has been fabulous. (2007 Pavilion Slimline...it says?)

I was really intrigued by the HP Touchsmart TM2...the idea of having a tablet and a regular PC in one sounds pretty cool, and from what I have researched, it doesn't seem to have too many big cons, though one of my friends told me it breaks easily?

I am not into gaming or programming at all. I really just want a solid laptop that can perform all the regular functions nicely. I am also looking to learn more graphic design/really into art so the tablet sounded cool. Also good for notes?

Anyone have any opinions or other brands that offer similar but better products? Is it even worth having a tablet and will I bet getting the a solid PC in addition?
Post edited by restlessabandon on

Replies to: HP Touchsmart TM2 for college?

• rhythmgamingrhythmgaming Registered User Posts: 650 Member
    The problem is they have some cutbacks, for example the cpu is downclocked quite a bit. If you really want to practice drawing with a tablet, you can always get a drawing tablet for your computer.
  • aStyleaStyle Registered User Posts: 973 Member
    From your description it sounds like a great fit! You can write on the screen and it'll recognize it. I think it's good for taking notes and drawing diagrams.

I don't think there are any other comparable laptops except for Toshiba and Fujitsu. However those laptops are business oriented and lack the design of HP's.

The processor on the tm2 is downclocked but the average use won't feel a difference. The lower power is just to preserve battery life and lower heat. You could get a normal-powered laptop and a $50-100 Wacom tablet.
  • restlessabandonrestlessabandon Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses. I will keep an eye out for other laptops but I have done more research and the pros seem to outweigh the cons. If anyone else has an opinion, feel free to share.
This discussion has been closed.