Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Recommendation of a good B/W laser printer for a mac?

mcat2mcat2 Registered User Posts: 5,942 Senior Member
edited January 2012 in College Computers
Does anybody here have a good experience with a specific laser printer which is compatible with Mac OS/Lion and is reliable (both its driver and its mechanical parts)? It does not have to be feature rich as I only need to print the text in B/W. But it should work reliably. The price should be under $200-300.

Lion is relatively new. So, I worry that the driver for some printers may not be fully debugged yet. I used to like Samsung's. But I am now concerned that because it is one of the "enemies" of Apple (because of smartphone!) and Apple won't support them to develop their driver. It appears HP has been so screwed up recently on most of its business (including its CEOs) and I am concerned the quality of its products may go down.

Thanks!
Post edited by mcat2 on

Replies to: Recommendation of a good B/W laser printer for a mac?

• vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 27,835 Super Moderator
    We've been happy with Brother over the years, and works fine with Lion.
  • mcat2mcat2 Registered User Posts: 5,942 Senior Member
    Thanks. Have decided to go with Brother HL2240D. Hopefully, I do not need to hunt for and download firmware or driver, because the newest driver at Brother's site is more than 1 years old, and Apple's support site says this model is supported.

'
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 27,835 Super Moderator
    The Brother site is easy to use when you DO need a new driver.
  • SamuraiLandsharkSamuraiLandshark Registered User Posts: 3,425 Senior Member
    I am on my second Brother Laser Printer. When this one stops working, I am buying another.

They have had fewer issues than any other laser printer (or inkjet) that I have ever used.

I also buy generic toner on ebay and save lots of money.
  • mcat2mcat2 Registered User Posts: 5,942 Senior Member
    Just want to report that the low-end laser printer Brother HL2240D we bought works on DS's Macbook Pro/Lion.
This discussion has been closed.