Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How Powerful of a Laptop Should I Get?

RobertD1RobertD1 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
edited January 2012 in College Computers
I'm not planning on majoring in engineering, or architecture, or anything I would think would require CAD or stuff like that. During college my computer use would probably mainly be surfing the internet, doing some basic word document editing, and some gaming. Should I get more of a portable workstation style laptop like I have now (W500, so kind of old), or something more along the lines of an ultrabook, or at least something more portable. I'm also planning on getting a tablet with some kind of physical keyboard attachment/built in keyboard, so maybe I could just use that as a my computer for commuting and get a more powerful one to keep on the desk. I don't plan on getting a desktop. So what do you guys think?
Post edited by RobertD1 on

Replies to: How Powerful of a Laptop Should I Get?

• leftywamum0nkeyleftywamum0nkey Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    Well, if you don't need it for anything intensive, I would say get an i5. It's a great processor and should serve you well down the road if your use stays similar. A portable workstation, like Lenovo's W520 is great, and is quite frankly the only Windows based laptop I would get. It's also a reasonable price, but based on the uses you described, I don't think you would use it to its full potential. An ultrabook with an i5 processor and a SSD would benefit you greater, if you can sacrifice some storage space or store things on an external hard drive.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
  • rhythmgamingrhythmgaming Registered User Posts: 650 Member
    Define what you'd be playing.

If you can do some own research, the general standards are to be able to play whatever you plan on playing at your screen's native resolution with an average FPS of at least 40 (disregarding other graphical settings generally).
This discussion has been closed.