Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Apple Kills the Textbook with iBooks 2, iBooks Author

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,549 Senior Member
edited January 2012 in College Computers
"Apple announced it would update its iBooks platform to include textbook capabilities. It also added a new platform called iBooks Author, which lets anyone easily create and publish their own e-books. Apple's late co-founder and chairman Steve Jobs had hoped to bring relief to the higher education masses in the late 80s and early 90s, but 20 years later, Jobs's legacy lives on in Apple, which hopes to make yet another dent in the education industry.

At the start of Thursday's presentation, Apple's senior VP of marketing Phil Schiller told the audience several pitiful statistics about U.S. education. For one, 70 percent of freshmen graduate in four years, but the country is ranked 17th in reading, 23rd in science and 31st in math. Assuming the human race isn't getting stupider, the statistics show that there is clearly a disconnect between students and their education. ..."

Apple Kills the Textbook with iBooks 2, iBooks Author - International Business Times
Post edited by Dave_Berry on

Replies to: Apple Kills the Textbook with iBooks 2, iBooks Author

• IceQubeIceQube Registered User Posts: 3,187 Senior Member
    Dave_Berry wrote:
    For one, 70 percent of freshmen graduate in four years, but the country is ranked 17th in reading, 23rd in science and 31st in math. Assuming the human race isn't getting stupider, the statistics show that there is clearly a disconnect between students and their education.

The damning statistics are undeniably true.

And of course, the remedy is for an university to supply each one of its undergrads with an iPad so they can read textbooks on iPads using the iBooks platform, thereby astronomically increasing the US ranking in reading, science, and math.

Yes, this all makes sense. Universities would only have to pay $400 or so per iPad for each undergrad. Undergrads given iPads with digital textbooks pre-loaded will suddenly get smarter. Suddenly, the disconnect between "students and their [sic] education" will disappear. Suddenly, the coefficient of learning will increase from a measly 0.453 with traditional textbooks to 0.992 with iBooks.

Yes, all because textbooks are no longer physical, and no longer able to be annotated on, but on Apple gadgets. Yes, because students be able to relieve their boredom by playing games on the iPad. Yes, because students will love using an iPad, with its IPS screen and almost 180 degree viewing angle, so students can share their textbooks with other students. Yes, because the scorching backlight of the iPad display will scorch the retinas of users. Yes, because students will also be able to simultaneously listen to music while reading iBooks on their iPads.
  • blackjack21blackjack21 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    ^haha very satirical, but I agree that I would love to have a physical textbook over a bunch of 1's and 0's in a digital device. What are you going to do when your ipad doesn't work the day before your exams. Last time I checked textbooks never run out of batteries, never crash, and are always there when you need them.
  • ladeeda6ladeeda6 Registered User Posts: 508 Member
    As convenient as that may be opposed to lugging 900-page books around, the reason I got an E-Ink Kindle was to avoid the eye-strain of the iPad and other tablets.
  • rhythmgamingrhythmgaming Registered User Posts: 650 Member
    I am curious as how open book tests could possibly function, then.
  • rymdrymd - Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    hell no, i want to touch and admire dead trees.
    and you also wouldn't be able to resell textbooks and succumb to publisher greed
This discussion has been closed.