Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Biz/ComputerSci/BIM Majors! Thinkpad 430s or Mac?

2»

Replies to: Biz/ComputerSci/BIM Majors! Thinkpad 430s or Mac?

• del_psidel_psi Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    @del_psi what's your review on the thinkpad x tablet pc? For under 2 grand, I thought it was a great machine. But i'm not sure whether or not to go with i3, i5, or i7. Or to go up GB. If I did so, the price would be over $1500.

Is the thinkpad x tablet pc useful? I thought i could use this for drawing and taking notes in class. What do you think?

The w series looked like a good option. But i wasn't a fan of how huge it was. that was the only downfall of that computer. I'm living quite a distance from the main campus / where my classes are-- about a 20-25 minute walk. Essentially i wouldn't think it was a big deal to carry around a 5 pound laptop but, again on the advice of family and friends, the lighter the better. Do you think a thinkpad x tablet pc would be a better choice?

do you have your opinions on the t430s or the mac pro?

(btw your replies have been AMAZING and very helpful. I hope you don't mind so many questions.. a grand is a lot to invest! :P)

I've never used the t430s or the MacBook Pro but I know that the extra warranty service provided for the ThinkPads is better than what Apple provides for the MacBook Pro.

The x series tablets are useful BUT the tablet functionality in them have not been good for the last couple revisions (x220t and x230t).

The Fujitsu T901 is better to draw on. I've used both and calibrated them and I've found that the T901 is more accurate. When I draw on my x230t , the actual position on the screen is less accurate than I expect , especially on the edges. Let me post a link to a very similar problem on the older model

Third video - X220T vs X61T digitizer accuracy - YouTube

Let me just make a personal pros and cons list of the X230t since it's kind of hard for me to do a full review.

Pros :
    IPS panel display
    Very quiet especially with a SSD
    Backlit Keyboard
    Optional Gorilla Glass (makes screen glossy as well)
    Display Port connectivity
    Great battery life with 6 cell battery
    Warranty provided by IBM
    mSATA port (or WWAN)
    Great CPU power for weight
    Wacom Digitizer
    Good overall build quality
    *Price with EPP or similar discounts

Cons:
    There seem to be too many QC issues in the early batches (mine was free from most of those issues)
    Digitizer performance is not as good as competing machines ( HP and Fujitsu business class tablet PCs).
    Hard to use in portrait mode
    6 Cell battery is ugly and big
    The IPS LCD screen that is used has noticeable ghosting ( same problem on some Retina MacBook Pros)
    Touchpad is a bit too small

Other:
    LCD Resolution is 1366 x 768
    Touchpad requires some tweaking on the software side and takes a little while to get used to.
    Chicklet keyboard (I've never used the real ThinkPad keyboards so I can't compare them)

*Discount may vary

There are not enough tablet PCs on the market right now but after Windows 8 comes out there will definitely be better tablet PCs for the price.
    I think you need to try the X230t for yourself to decide if it's good enough for you.

You can buy it directly from lenovo using the link I posted on this thread.

If it's not good enough for you you should be able to return to it lenovo without a restocking fee ( bad digitizer performance is a reason to waive the fee).
  • AtemporalAtemporal Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    You don't even need to wait a year to land cheap deals on external hard drives. Just scored a 500 GB USB 3 portable from Walmart for $27 yesterday.

It's not nearly as fast as the SSD/enclosure hard drive I have (~100 MB/s or so on the $27 WD vs consistent 220-250 MB/s on a Samsung 830 in an enclosure with the Asmedia 1051E chip), but it'll do.

@OP

Your priorities should be screen first, if you're not using an external monitor. Internals should come second, then aesthetic exterior third. Apple products tend to be on the better side for digital media creation, but that doesn't mean Windows is bad for it.
    You don't even need to wait a year to land cheap deals on external hard drives. Just scored a 500 GB USB 3 portable from Walmart for $27 yesterday.

It's not nearly as fast as the SSD/enclosure hard drive I have (~100 MB/s or so on the $27 WD vs consistent 220-250 MB/s on a Samsung 830 in an enclosure with the Asmedia 1051E chip), but it'll do.

@OP

Your priorities should be screen first, if you're not using an external monitor. Internals should come second, then aesthetic exterior third. Apple products tend to be on the better side for digital media creation, but that doesn't mean Windows is bad for it.

The only Apple laptop with a great LCD screen is the rMBP.

There are many Windows based laptops that have better LCD displays than all the Mac laptops except the rMBP(Dreamcolor screens from HP have a higher color gamut though).
  • AtemporalAtemporal Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    del_psi wrote:
    The only Apple laptop with a great LCD screen is the rMBP.

There are many Windows based laptops that have better LCD displays than all the Mac laptops except the rMBP(Dreamcolor screens from HP have a higher color gamut though).

I don't see the rationale for this as a followup to my post. If it was in response to this part:
    Atemporal wrote:
    Apple products tend to be on the better side for digital media creation, but that doesn't mean Windows is bad for it.

A general consensus from those that I know who do graphic design is that OSX is preferred over Windows for design and creation. That can also be accomplished with Hackintosh also. I'm not advocating Apple or Windows for one over the other, I'm just pointing out that Apple tends to be better and preferred for those who work in these fields. My comment for screens was more so for resolution rather than TN vs IPS or something like that. Most can live with TN panels.

I think a true graphics designer will use a CCFL IPS panel, or any good IPS. I don't possess any knowledge in that domain, so I won't comment further.
  • turtlerockturtlerock Registered User Posts: 1,184 Senior Member
    Atemporal wrote:
    Atemporal wrote:
    Apple products tend to be on the better side for digital media creation, but that doesn't mean Windows is bad for it.

A general consensus from those that I know who do graphic design is that OSX is preferred over Windows for design and creation.

I agree. I have a friend that was very into drawing and art (creating comic style panels and such both for print and web) and had always used a PC and Photoshop up until he went to an art and animation school. Then he knew hands down he wanted/would need/prefered an iMac for his work. He's worked on it for a couple years now and thinks it is 10x better than the PCs he used before. Comments he's made that stick out to me are that colors tend to look more vibrant and it's more comfortable for him to use.

However, OP, both PCs and MACs can accomplish the same art related tasks, and personally I think Apple is overpriced compared to some other PC manufacturers, like Lenovo.

FWIW, I think the ThinkPad model will be a great line for the combo Business/CS/digital art you are attempting.
    Comments he's made that stick out to me are that colors tend to look more vibrant and it's more comfortable for him to use.

Three words : Glossy IPS panel
2»
This discussion has been closed.