Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Any thoughts on the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Ultrabook

turtlerockturtlerock Registered User Posts: 1,184 Senior Member
edited August 2012 in College Computers
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon releases late August 2012:
$1400
3rd Gen i5 @ 1.7GHz
4GB RAM
HD 4000 integrated graphics
14" LED 1600x900 matte TN panel
128GB SanDisk SSD
Tested ~5 hours battery life
3lbs
.74"x13x8.9

Wifi, webcam, SD card reader, USB 3 x1, USB 2 x1, Mini DisplayPort, backlit keyboard.

Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in a laptop to tote around school: quality built light 14" ultrabook with 1600x900 matte screen ( ThinkPad X1 Carbon Vs. Lenovo ThinkPad T430s Screen Comparison - YouTube ) and SSD. My favorite features are that it's made out of carbon fiber (hence the name) so it theoretically should be light and durable and has a 1600x900 matte screen. I think the battery life could be better, but really that's the only shortfall I see (and it does come with RapidCharge technology, where supposedly it charges from 0% to 70-80% in about 35 minutes time) - besides the price (I don't plan on playing games with it, so the HD graphics aren't a killer). I'll be a business major.

So anyone have comparison opinions? Is the $1400 price worth it compared to what else is out there and the fact that it should be Lenovo Thinkpad quality? Bear in mind that the $1400 price is the retail price and Lenovo is known to have a slightly lower online price often coupled with saver and coupon deals that drop most models by a couple hundred bucks. Within a few months of release I can see it more in the $1200 range.

Thanks!
Post edited by turtlerock on

Replies to: Any thoughts on the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Ultrabook

• MuzikVillainMuzikVillain Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    Sent from my ADR6300 using CC
  • MuzikVillainMuzikVillain Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    In my opinion, the new Thinkpad X1 Carbon is well worth the hefty price tag. While It's not exactly budget friendly, as you've mentioned by waiting a few months, purchasing online & taking advantage of deals & eCoupons, you could get a great deal.

Since I will be starting college this fall, I too was in the market for a new laptop. At first I thought of purchasing a Thinkpad T430 but realized that an ultrabook would best be suited for everyday commuting. I wanted the quality build & superior keyboard of a Thinkpad but also the lightweight footprint & speed of a Macbook Air. After reading a few brief reviews of the X1 Carbon, I feel that this one of very few ultrabooks in the market that rival the Macbook Air's dominance.

With that in mind you should also consider looking at the budget friendly HP Folio, the Thinkpad T430S, the new Samsung Series 9 line, the Asus ultrabook line & of course the Macbook Air.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using CC.
  • AtemporalAtemporal Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    If there's no discounts being applied, it'll cost more than a Macbook Air of similar specs. So you'll be paying Apple tax and then some.

Also, the palm rest area appears to be very short. This may affect your typing, so I wouldn't jump on this one right away. Try it out in a store first.
  • del_psidel_psi Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    It's on sale for ~1100 with the EPP discount so I think it's worth it at the price or less.
  • del_psidel_psi Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    Barnes and Noble Gold | Lenovo | (US)

ThinkPad X1 Carbon Laptop
    Intel Core i5-3317U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.60 GHz)
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
    14.0" Premium HD+ (1600x900) LED Backlit Display, 720p HD Camera, Mobile Broadband Enabled
    Intel HD 4000 Graphics in Intel Core i5-3317U Processor with 4GB 1333MHz DDR3L On Board
    4 GB PC3-10600 DDR3L SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)
    TrackPoint with Fingerprint Reader and Clickpad - Type US
    128GB Solid State Drive, SATA3
    Battery
    Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205S (2x2 AGN)
    Integrated Mobile Broadband (Ericsson H5321)
    1 Year Depot/Express Warranty

$1,061.65
  • 4khaos4khaos Registered User Posts: 469 Member
    Almost all ultrabooks and definitely all Apple products are over-priced. If that doesn't matter, then they're great. Why?

3rd-gen i5: You can find usually this on +$600 laptops
    4GB RAM: You can find usually this on +$300 laptops
    Intel HD 4000 Graphics: You can usually find this on +$400 laptops
    128 GB SSD: You can self-upgrade to this with +$70

The benefits of an ultrabook would be its weight (which could be important), screen resolution (which you can't upgrade), and appearance (which shouldn't really be important).
This discussion has been closed.