Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help A Computer newbie

yankeesfan6792yankeesfan6792 Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
edited October 2012 in College Computers
I am currently a hs senior and I need a new laptop for college and i am going to be an engineering major (most likely aerospace)

I have used macs for the majority of my life and was thinking of buying the mac book pro

So my question is: should i wait till right before college to get it or do you think apple isn't going to release a new version and i should just go ahead and buy it now.

Also are their mac book air users that are happy with it? It seams like it would be useful for college because of its size but it isn't as powerful.

Really lost here thanks.
Post edited by yankeesfan6792 on

Replies to: Help A Computer newbie

• vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 27,835 Super Moderator
    My daughter and I both switched from Pros to Airs (larger screen) and love them for being so much lighter and thinner. They are powerful enough for general use. Apple is hard to predict, but I'd wait until the next release; it should then last four years.
  • leftywamum0nkeyleftywamum0nkey Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    You should wait until next year to buy a new computer if it is for college. There's no reason you should buy it now if it's meant for college.
    I've owned an 11" Macbook Air for a year as a secondary computer and it's a great machine, although I wouldn't consider it a primary machine. The Macbook Air's processors are powerful enough for more than general use. With general use, you won't go anywhere near it's max performance.
  • bl4ke360bl4ke360 Registered User Posts: 712 Member
    They are powerful enough for general use.

You missed the part where he said he's going to be an engineering major.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 27,835 Super Moderator
    ^ Luckily lefty did not! :)
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 26,928 Senior Member
    It has always seemed to me that the best prices come in late summer, when new models come out (aimed, often, at college kids,) and last year's perfectly fine versions need to move. In so many cases, you just don't "have to" have the very latest whistles and bells. (That's often about marketing an upgrade, not what you need to get the job done. An exception is if a mfr is resolving a known problem/issue.) More important is that your college will have it's own network , processing and capacity specs. Nearly all recent computers will meet these, but you'll want to check what your college and dept need you to have.
  • leftywamum0nkeyleftywamum0nkey Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    bl4ke360, I did not. :)
This discussion has been closed.