Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Mac Pro or Vaio Z for Electrical Engineering

luxwigluxwig Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited May 2013 in College Computers
I am planning to study EE as my major in my college. So I wonder which laptop should I chose, Mav Pro or Vaio Z series. They almost have everything the same, same CPU, same storage ect.

Mac Pro is fashion, cool and also have perfect operating system. But as a student major in EE, I am a little bit worry about Mac Pro's compatibility. It seems a lot of softwares for EE are designed for PC not Mac. I know these kind of problems can be dealt by using Boot Camp or VM. But it was said running windows base on Mac may cause some other problems such as Mac will be SUPER hot or will run reletivly slow. At the same time, installing windows will occupy plenty of storage and may effect me a lot.

On the other hand, Vaio Z almost have everything that Mac Pro can provide, the siperfast processor, the perfect screen same memory, but can not provide me OS X system and the fantasic UI as well as surface.

So does any one could help me to figure out which one is better.
Post edited by luxwig on

Replies to: Mac Pro or Vaio Z for Electrical Engineering

• GenApoGenApo Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    Vaoi Z. I don't understand why someone would want to pay extra for an OS that they knew wouldn't work with them. Heck, the fact that you're considering "fashion, cool" and the "fantastic UI" when buying a computer for school purposes (especially a hard ass major like engineering) really makes me question whether your purchase is really based on necessity...
  • luxwigluxwig Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Thx a lot. I do think I should to buy Vaio
  • GenApoGenApo Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    Just an extra tip, make sure you browse around for ALL possible options. Don't ever limit yourself based on brand; do the research for yourself!
  • EliKressesEliKresses Registered User Posts: 1,787 Senior Member
    I'd have to go with a high-end Thinkpad, if I had your budget... If you get a high-end Thinkpad, it'll have the specs AND the durability to be of use for a long, long time.
    I do have considered to get a Thinkpad. Yet, Thinkpad is quite havey and does not look nice, Although I admit it has a relativly high durabilty.
    Have you got any advice with a laptop that is ultraportable and quite powerful?
  • NightShadeQueenNightShadeQueen Registered User Posts: 268 Junior Member
    If you want something ultraportable and powerful, get a desktop, ask your school for a subdomain, and acquire something flimsy and light to ssh from.
This discussion has been closed.