Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Macbook good for CS?

alexc12328alexc12328 Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
I just baught a 2017 MacBook Pro 13” (2.3GHz Dual Core i5 w/ 8GB RAM). I’m hoping I made a good choice purchasing this laptop for CS. I would like to hear everyone’s opinions or should I have bought a PC instead.

Replies to: Macbook good for CS?

• saif235saif235 Registered User Posts: 1,042 Senior Member
    You'll be fine. Macs work very well for CS since macOS is built off of a Unix kernel. In general it doesn't matter what kind of computer you buy.

Most intro CS class work can be completed and run on any modern computer - and most schools will have lab machines you can use remotely for your coursework.
  • GudmomGudmom Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    My daughter is in engineering at VT; she says most engineers use PCs, but the CS people tend to use Macs.
  • PengsPhilsPengsPhils Forum Champion Northeastern, Forum Champion Math/Computer Science Posts: 3,695 Forum Champion
    Yes, Mac is a good choice for CS, if not preferred by most. You may find you want to upgrade your RAM to 16GB which you can do on your own if you find you need it, but it isn't required.