Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

computer amateur needs help choosing (no macs)

yaganonyaganon Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
edited December 2009 in College Computers
I have no experience with buying computers

Basically, I want to buy something lightweight and is as cheap as you can get it without being an obsolete piece of junk.
Post edited by yaganon on

Replies to: computer amateur needs help choosing (no macs)

• immortaliximmortalix Registered User Posts: 676 Member
    I don't know what your budget is, but here are some lightweight laptops that a pretty good and relatively inexpensive.

Asus UL30 series
    Acer Timeline
    Toshiba Satellite

Note that some of the laptops in the series listed above don't have optical drives, but you can buy an external optical drive for around $50. Also note that black laptops tend to be fingerprint magnets.

I'm personally considering the Asus UL30VT, $799 on Amazon, available for preorder. It has switchable graphics, meaning you can use the integrated graphics to save power (up to 12 hours of battery life), or use the better graphics card for gaming/videos and still get 7+ hours of usage.
  • excelblueexcelblue Registered User Posts: 1,840 Senior Member
    Get a Netbook. They're lighter than a Macbook Air, have incredibly long battery lives, and generally cost between $200~$300.

Take a look at Asus Eee, MSI Wind, Acer AspireOne, etc.

Go and play around with one in a store and see if the keyboard would pose any problem. I'd recommend a 10" because they're a good balance between size and comfort.

As for being obsolete - the only thing I want to ask you is - will you really care? Just because it's the latest tech doesn't mean that you'd actually be able to notice a difference. These are actually high-tech in the sense that they're extremely efficient and portable, but their power actually compares to laptops of three or four years ago.
This discussion has been closed.