Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.
maruhan2maruhan2 Registered User Posts: 859 Member
edited December 2009 in College Computers
This is probably more appropriate in a different forum, but whatever, I like CC.

So, you overclockers,

What will be the life expectancy of a core i5 2.6 GHz that is overclocked to 3.5+ GHz?

I know that the life expectancy will drop drastically after overclocking but by how much?
Post edited by maruhan2 on

Replies to: Overclock

• BCEagle91BCEagle91 Registered User Posts: 22,762 Senior Member
    The best thing to do would be to run a test at the limits.

I used to overclock my laptop and found that the maximum stable overclock went down over time so there is definitely damage done to the processor. I stopped overclocking after a while and just bought a faster laptop.

You're going to get a much better response at a dedicated forum because so many have experience overclocking or running overclocked systems all the time. Processors are so fast these days that I don't feel a need to overclock. I'm on a 2.66 Ghz i7 system right now and the CPU consumption is in the low single-digits almost all the time. I have two of these systems, a 2.5 Ghz Mobile Penryn and my old AMD laptop on my desk running right now. Insane amount of computer horsepower.
  • raincoatxraincoatx Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    At the pace that technology is going in, I seriously doubt the decreased life expectancy will be a problem (if anything, it could provide a good excuse to upgrade to the hot new octo core in the future).
  • maruhan2maruhan2 Registered User Posts: 859 Member
    that's the reason why I'm more than willing to overclock
    but if it's gonna decrease its life to less than four years, then I may have to limit the cranking to just a little bit (like 3.2)
This discussion has been closed.