Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Oxford University...do you know anyone who's been accepted there?

2»

Replies to: Oxford University...do you know anyone who's been accepted there?

• 082349082349 Registered User Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    @Yaziinyz I can't tell you because that would give away my location which I don't want to. If you really want to know, you can PM me.

Also, really good schools in the UK have more than that number getting accepted so I don't think it's that unrealistic.

---
    Sent from my iPod touch using CC
  • YaziinyzYaziinyz Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    No. I respect your privacy. Good for your school. That oughtta boost its reputation
  • 082349082349 Registered User Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    That's actually a pretty stable number so I don't think it really boosts our reputation.

---
    Sent from my iPod touch using CC
  • AlwaysInAweAlwaysInAwe Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    PS with regards to Oxford Vs Cambridge, I know that if you want to go on to do very high level maths or physics Cambridge has the slight edge. If you want to go into industry and earn lots of money there's no discernible difference between the two. Part of the appeal to people in industry of Oxbridge graduates is that they are intelligent and hard working enough to be accepted by the university and to succeed in their courses there, the differences between the two courses will be largely irrelevant. The tutorial system at both universities definitely gives you an advantage in interviews, whatever you decide to go on to do, you're just so much better at thinking on your feet and handling difficult questions than people who haven't had access to that kind of teaching.
  • YaziinyzYaziinyz Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    Thanks 4 ur info.
  • dwaynealexanderdwaynealexander Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Bpsbgs,I wouldn't say that both cambridge and oxford are far bested by harvard.True,Harvard is in a league of its own,but if you take your time and go through 2010's QS rankings,Cambridge was tops ,and Oxford was not too far behind.2011's rankings may tell a different story,I agree,but in alot of ways,harvard's not as grand as it was some time ago.Your reply to the post is well put though.Well put.
  • dwaynealexanderdwaynealexander Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    It's really encouraging when some people who have already made it,like Alwaysinawe,give these detailed replies that help others.I'm in Cambridge university myself,and aim to be a grad at Oxford(I call it having the best of two of UK's best academic worlds).In as much as your information,Alwaysinawe,may not help one who's past the undergrad net,I have at least gained something.Thank you.
  • PlexusNexusPlexusNexus Registered User Posts: 35 New Member
    My current conductor (the former dean of Sweet Briar College) received his Doctorate from Oxford. He is incredibly intelligent, most likely the smartest person I have ever met, but also one of the most personable. It seems like a truly wonderful place to study.
2»
This discussion has been closed.