Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

I'm doing alright after accepting some harsh truths

JayceR2011JayceR2011 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited November 2011 in College Confidential Cafe
I apologize if this isn't the best read ever. It's late, and I wouldn't say the following is an accurate reflection of my writing skills by any means. I'm just spilling my thoughts at the moment.

Two weeks ago, I was turning into a freaking basket case reading this forum. I thought I had a chance at Tufts... but after seeing some of the superb stat lists here I've realized there's no realistic way I can compete with some of the better qualified applicants out there. I kept trying to convince myself I have some kind of second chance at improving myself over the next 3 years, when I should've been thinking this way since the very beginning. My freshman GPA, though weighted with honors classes, is very poor. This sophomore year I'm taking only 2 honors classes, should've taken 3 AP classes and the rest honors, but it's too late now. My 4.1 GPA this term doesn't mean anything if I didn't take AP classes. I've never held a leadership position, and honestly my ECs just feel like padding. I should've been starting clubs, winning awards, making a nationwide name for myself, while keeping a perfect 4.0 GPA. Too late. I can still try for the whole "Improvement" angle, but seriously, I don't think it's going to help.

I've been slowly pulling myself together after the initial shock. Perhaps I'm simply not destined for the colleges of my dreams. I don't feel angry at others, but I do feel tinges of regret. If I don't go to a prestigious college, will others judge me for it? What is a rejection letter? Is it a kind correspondence that the institution acknowledges my interest, but couldn't accept me over the more qualified applicants, or is it a gravely serious judgement of my personhood by my academic superiors?

Some of what I read here seems ridiculous, especially the "Chance threads". These days, admissions seem like sort of a gamble. Maybe it's just jealousy, but in chance threads I see a bunch of arrogant kids talking hopeful applicants down, as if they spoke for the institutions in question.

Go ahead, belittle me.
Post edited by JayceR2011 on

Replies to: I'm doing alright after accepting some harsh truths

• akashdipakashdip Registered User Posts: 728 Member
    cool down man. you will do fine. theres a hell lot of people out there who dont get perfect GPAs and winning national awards and starting their own businesses and doing whatnots but still they manage to lead a perfectly happy blissful life. well dont you thnk i feel jealous of the guys here who flash there perfect scores and impeccable ECs? of course. its normal. but i dont get low just thinking about that. you have a life to lead and thats it. no more questions. youre fine, im fine, those guys with flashy scores are fine. and the worlds perfect. just relax and go to sleep:)
This discussion has been closed.