Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is it just me or is this an unspoken fact?

flower161flower161 Registered User Posts: 532 Member
edited January 2012 in College Confidential Cafe
So I have been talking to my parents and going through this website and all and i came up with this conclusion:

Imo, everyone seems to be harder on the high school students than college students when it comes to grades.

For example, when I wasnt doing so well in my stat class, my parents were yelling at me saying that I will never get into a good college(Ivy League exactly) and that my life will be ruined.

But when my cousin isnt doing so well in her classes, my uncle and aunt are not freaking out because "At least she's going to Cornell" and my parents agree!

Plus I feel that this website enforces this idea along with my classmates as well since they feel like a failure when they get less than a 90 on anything, but when my college friends are getting a 3.5 in college, everyone is satisfied.

So is it just me or is this unfair to put more pressure on high school students than college students?
Post edited by flower161 on

Replies to: Is it just me or is this an unspoken fact?

• momof3greatgirlsmomof3greatgirls Registered User Posts: 817 Member
    To be honest you have to get a 4.0 in high school to even get a 3.5 in college. While in high school, you are going to class with students with a wide range of abilities. College is different. You are now competing for grades against kids that got 4.0 in high school. The bar is higher in college.

Stats is pretty easy compared to most math in college. Doing poorly could indicate you may find college material challenging.

Well a 3.5 is not that bad of a GPA in college. At my dd college it is still the Dean's list. At other colleges, you may need an higher GPA but dd's college has A and A- type of grading. Which brings the GPA down pretty fast. A 90 would be no higher than 3.7 for a GPA and more likely a 3.3 GPA. Of course different colleges have different grading methods. At some 90 and above is a 4.0.
  • GodfatherbobGodfatherbob Registered User Posts: 1,311 Senior Member
    You can't really generalize in terms of difficulty. But look at it this way: In high school, if you want to go to the Ivy League, which you seem to, you basically need to get a 4.0. In college, if you want to go to an Ivy League grad school or apply to the "Ivy League" of employers, you basically need to get a 4.0. If you're okay with getting a very good, though not the absolute best job after college, then a 3.5 or 3.0 is fine.

As far as how other people feel about your grades, who the f.uck cares? You'll realize that one soon enough. Hopefully.
This discussion has been closed.