Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

For anyone who's pretty good at calc.:

KRabble88KRabble88 Registered User Posts: 1,991 Senior Member
edited January 2006 in College Confidential Cafe
Integral(dx/((x-1)sqrt(4x^2-8x+3))
Post edited by KRabble88 on

Replies to: For anyone who's pretty good at calc.:

• BlobofBlobof Registered User Posts: 1,183 Senior Member
    Use (2x-2) = sec(theta)...
  • KRabble88KRabble88 Registered User Posts: 1,991 Senior Member
    I'm sorry but I'm not following what you mean.
    It's called trigonometric substitution. Usually if you have a quadratic expression inside a square root with no obvious derivative to that quadratic expression in your integrand, then you have to use trig substitution. I figured that if you had such an integral to solve you'd be familiar with the concept.
    [latex]$\int_0^\infty S(x)dx$[/latex]

And, unfortunately, LaTeX is not implemented on these forums. Oh well. No quick and easy help for you today.
    Are you referring to the inverse trig function rules? This is as far as got in terms of trig. integration/derivation rules.

I tried completing the square, etc., but the form does not match so that I can put it into the arcsec form. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks!
    Oh, thanks for your time though.

If you could, do you think you could name anything in particular that I may be missing? I don't need to see the actual problem drawn out.
  • adconardadconard Registered User Posts: 803 Member
    Do your own homework.
    Forget it, I know what I did wrong. I added 4 to complete the square and I added ANOTHER 4 outside of the parenthesis instead of SUBTRACTING 4 outside of the parenthesis.
    OK, the only arcsec you'll need to do is if you get "theta" (ok, let's just use t from now on) in the solution before resubstituting x into it.

So let's see. You have sqrt(4x^2 -8x +3) which you can write as sqrt(4x^2 -8x +4 -1) = sqrt( (2x-2)^2 -1).

Then you use the substitution (2x-2) = 1 * sec(t). You should draw a right triangle with (2x-2) as the length of the side adjacent to the angle "t" and 1 as the hypothenuse, for later use. The (x-1) part of your integral is (sec(t))/2 and also dx = (sec (t) tan (t) dt)/2.

So you have \int (sec t tan t dt)/(sec t sqrt (sec^2 t -1)) = \int (sec t tan t dt)/(sec t tan t) = \int dt = t+K (K some constant, unless I missed some definite integral bounds).

So you do have to arcsec your solution. t = arcsec(2x-2) (by arcsec of the original substitution). So the solution is arcsec (2x-2) +K (unless I made a mistake somewhere). No need for the triangle this time...
    Alright, sorry if I wasted your time here. It turned out to be an incredibly stupid mistake (post #9). I was getting pretty frustrated and had no idea what I was doing wrong. But, thanks again, I truly, truly appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.