Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Learning by coming back to a topic

mattd1688mattd1688 Registered User Posts: 660 Member
edited January 2006 in College Confidential Cafe
Does anyone on here not really get a topic until they come back to it atleast like a week or two later. I like read something and then most of the time I have no clue what it is, or I struggle to get by it, but then if I try it again a few weeks later, I get it and it seems a lot more straight forward. THe most recent example is solids of revolutions and work based on the integrals of density and height functions.

Other examples, which got me a lot more lost
modular congruences, euler and hamilton graphs.

Im hoping that if I ever go back to it, I will have the slightest clue about "linear nonhomogeneous recurrence relations with constant coefficients"
Post edited by mattd1688 on

Replies to: Learning by coming back to a topic

• mruncleramosmruncleramos Registered User Posts: 320 Junior Member
    Contrary to what you would expect, it doesn't happen to anyone here. Everyone on the forum, or for that matter, in the whole world - gets everything on the first reading. Number Theory? Graph Theory? Generating Functions and other Discrete Math? Psh. Too easy. Nobody ever goes back to review or let material sink in - its absolutely unheard of. As a matter of fact, I think you should go to a psychiatrist for having such crazy ideas.
  • lil_killer129lil_killer129 Registered User Posts: 4,706 Senior Member
    Very well said mruncleramos.
  • 311Griff311Griff Registered User Posts: 1,586 Senior Member
    ^^LOL, I agree with the OP. Allowing myself time to "digest" information usually helps me learn it better. I also learn more when I take different angles, or get information from different sources, i.e. after a lecture, I'll re-read the chapter, and look it up on wikipedia or google it...then I start to get a broader understanding. After a few days or so, it sinks in better, and when I rehash what I learned, it makes more sense and I find it easier to grasp.
  • mattd1688mattd1688 Registered User Posts: 660 Member
    Ive met a few people who once they see something, they know exactly how to do it. So far I've met 3 of these people, 2 I still know, one is a teacher, the other a student.

Other people just stick with it until they learn it or give up.
  • NoFXNoFX Registered User Posts: 3,784 Senior Member
    I only understand soemthing when I've revised something fully. (for maths and sciency stuff). For english/historyish kind of stuff, it's either I understand it right there in the classroom or never.
This discussion has been closed.