Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

State of the Union and Democratic Response

2»

Replies to: State of the Union and Democratic Response

• CRbomber650CRbomber650 Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    Right after Bush sort of condemned the members of congress for not heeding his advice, I realized that there was a lot of clapping by the congressmen/women. It seemed to me that the members were applauding for themeselves for having chosen their path. Bush seemed to have caught on and gave an acknowledging smile/laugh along so to speak (playing politics) My parents taped it, so we will watch it tonight again.
  • derek_setterderek_setter Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    Paraiso, I do have an awareness of politics, but I mostly concentrate on what's affecting me right now and what my general interests are in (mostly ID of late). I won't say that I know much about the middle east. I've been kept in the dark about most of it except the "Those damn dirty A-Rabs" here in Kansas. However, I DID mean to type Hamas AND Iran. I know he did talk about them, but I had hoped he would give a basic idea on the plan for US interest and interactions.
  • goyounghagoyoungha Registered User Posts: 720 Member
    anyone still crack up over how Bush pronounces "nucuuulear"?
  • ParaPara Registered User Posts: 302 Junior Member
    However, I DID mean to type Hamas AND Iran.

Ok! Then n/m :)

ps. Iranians aren't arabs, at least they like to say so when they bash the arab part of themselves. It's a paradox.
  • chaos777chaos777 Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    I was really suprised that Bush consistently pronounces Iran properly, yet reverts to calling Iraq "I-rack." And yes, the governor of Virgina has crazy eyebrows.
  • mekrobmekrob Registered User Posts: 865 Member
    They have to say God Bless America, because He obviously has. We have Bush at the head of the country and we aren't dead yet. I'd say that's blessed.
  • Justinian IJustinian I Registered User Posts: 1,362 Member
    Yes, the governor of VA was a bit too much with the eye brow. I believe Bush outlined some good key points. I like the fact that he will continue to hunt down terror organizations which he is doing. When he started talking about becoming less dependent on foreign oil, I thought how much easier it would be to drill in Alaska. Bush said few grammatical errors as well.
    I thought Hillary to be a bit too much. Bush has been trying to repair Social Security, but it always has been denied by Congress. As bush said, Social Security is not going to repair itself. Take that Hilary. God Bless America!
    Alaska can not help as much as conserving or innovation can with our problem. Even during the few years when oil production is high in ANWR, we might be able to displace 1/10th of oil imports. Conservation would do much more than that and would last longer than a few years.
  • firewalkerfirewalker - Posts: 2,409 Senior Member
    democrats want to fix ss as well...but we dont believe privatization is the way to do so. gg.
  • TuftsPleaseTuftsPlease Registered User Posts: 990 Member
    How else do you pronouce Iraq? I-rock?
  • chaos777chaos777 Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    Like Iran, but with a "k" sound at the end rather than an "n" sound. No hard "I" sound at the beginning. Sort of like "earock"...it's hard to represent the pronunciation with just letters of the alphabet, but I don't know how else to do it.
    'i-raaq. Q is like a k in the back of the throat.
    Don't know persian, but ee-raan is how it is in Arabic.
2»
This discussion has been closed.