Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How much should I be getting paid?

TonybearTonybear Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I'm a Junior majoring in mechanical engineering. Last summer I worked in the department of engineering as an unpaid intern. Through my experience working in the various labs and the training for operating machines in the machine shop I was able to get a paid position for the certain lab as a 'student worker.' I'm responsible for making parts for labs conducted by graduate/PhD students in addition to other task such as design, modeling, analysis, and testing. I wasn't given the job immediately, but due to deadlines, I was rushed into doing some work for them. As of right now I've been told that I've been hired for the position, but I don't know how much I'm getting paid. This was probably a bad idea, but I didn't want to start things off on a bad foot. I know that people who work in the computer labs get paid $9.25 and hour. I don't want to think too much of myself, but I know that not many people can do the job that I'm doing. I'm thinking $12, up to $15? Does that sound reasonable?
This discussion has been closed.