Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I have jury duty

Franklin551Franklin551 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hi everybody!

I've been selected to jury duty for the United States District Court. I'm a full time student. At my college the professors assign us work during Fall and Spring break. I do not own car. The court is in another town. I don't have a way reasonable way to get there.

What can I do to get out of this? I would be more willing if I was summoned in my town. However, this isn't possible for me to do!
Post edited by Franklin551 on

Replies to: I have jury duty

• jandjdadjandjdad Registered User Posts: 532 Member
    Do a Google search for your particular District Court and find out if full time college students are exempted as in this court in Minnesota (see note #5)

Jury Duty FAQ | United States District Court - District of Minnesota
  • Franklin551Franklin551 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks for the advice.

I did a Google Search for my District Court. The site doesn't have any information about being exempted.

Furthermore I suppose to graduate this semester. Depending on the trail's length I may not be able to graduate. Some cases can last from a day to over a month.
  • meoowwwmeoowww Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    A few years ago I had to serve during the fall semester 3/4ths into the semester. I was attending class Mon-Thurs from 10:00-7:00pm roughly - I had a two-three hour break between classes but was taking 18 units.

I just threw the jury duty notice in the trash, eventually I received another (3-4 months later) which I also tossed, and finally received a postcard type notice threatening a fine of $5000 or $250,000 - I cant recall. I just remember the notice sounding more serious. Naturally I didn't want to pay a fine so I called and explained that I was a full-time student. Also stated the court was too far away and I had no means of transportation. The friendly jury duty lady assigned me to our city courthouse, which is less than a mile from home. We also picked a date where was free to serve. And since our city is relatively crime free. The day I had to serve there were luckily no cases; everyone was given a slip "proof of service completed" and sent home. =)

I would call them and explain your situation. Try to set up a future date, or preferably find a way to get out of serving altogether.
  • egelloc80egelloc80 Registered User Posts: 818 Member
    ^ sounds very similar to what happened to my teacher.
This discussion has been closed.