Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Moving from Miami To Cali...HOW ?

goaldiggergoaldigger Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited June 2013 in College Confidential Cafe
Okay my friend and I live in Miami, Fl and we both want to move together to California. He wants Venice Beach, I want LA but Im willing to settle for Venice. I have no clue how to go about this. I am going to Cali for spring break to tour some colleges and get a feel, because moving across the country to a state you have never been to before is...well stupid. We both need a job as soon as we get there and job hunting is very tedious, especially for a high school grad, especially in California. How would we move our personal items ? How could I get my car all the way over there ? (absolutely NO road trips, i don't need that many miles on my car). I'm just so lost and time is ticking. How much money should we save up ? Rent would be at least 1200 for a one bedroom I know. Also cell phone bills (120) car note (600) groceries (150-200) gas (100 a week for a v8 camaro. Dumb move i know). And I dont know where that leaves room for school supplies and other miscellaneous necessities for two teens making minimal wage. Is there some kind of financial aid for this type of situation ? My parents are low income and can't help. Idk about his parents though. Is this dream really feasible or is this just wishfull thinking ? :confused:
Post edited by goaldigger on

Replies to: Moving from Miami To Cali...HOW ?

• whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,638 Senior Member
    You do know that Venice Beach is in LA right? Also don't call it Cali. No one from California calls it Cali.

Venice Beach has an incredibly high cost of living. I used to work for an apartment company headquartered in Santa Monica (very close to Venice) and the rent was outrageous.

If you want to move your personal items you can either ship them out, have someone ship your car with everything in it (about $750-800), or just drive from Miami to California.

Some schools in LA give great financial aid (Occidental, some of the Claremonts), but most do not. California makes it very difficult for non residents to establish residency, so you'd have to wait a year before starting community college which will likely be your most affordable option.

Realistically, you won't be able to afford to live in a nice part of LA on minimum wage. You could try public transit and biking which would eliminate auto expenses, but the system kind of sucks. If you do get a car, be warned that cops in LA seem to have a fetish for giving out parking tickets. I improperly parked my car for two minutes near Santa Monica, and during that time a cop almost ticketed me.
  • goaldiggergoaldigger Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Obviously it is in LA but I want more central LA. Plus I already have my car and I am NOT leaving it in Miami. Thanks for your imput, however. Anybody else ? :)
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Registered User Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    Trying to figure out why you want to live in Los Angeles proper.

Also, lol at "settling" for Venice. "I wanted to live in Honolulu, but I guess I can settle for Lanai.
  • Niquii77Niquii77 Registered User Posts: 10,104 Senior Member
    If you are really set on moving to LA, then you should do a couple things first:
    •Find a university/college
    This college must meet the following requirements
    -has intended major
    -allows you to commute
    -affordable
    -a college/university where you will receive significant aid (merit/need)
    •Search for apartments within a considerable distance from your college/university
    You should create a list of realistic wants
    -number of bedrooms/bathrooms/living area
    -style of apartment
    -desired surrounding area
    -cost (including rent and fees)
    •Plan a trip to California and visit the areas that you have narrowed down to
    I suggest you visit apartments as well and speak with management
    •Save up two or three months rent
    Apartment generally require first months rent up front. The rest saved up is in case you have financial hardships or need more time securing hours at jobs.
    •Research companies who ship cars/personal items
    Some companies are able to hitch your car to the moving van so they both arrive together.
    •Save up $5,000 for spending money for necessary apartment supplies.
    •Ask your employer if your job can transfer
    A job is a must.
    •Budget all of your expenses.
    Include rent, fees, insurance, car payments, etc. if your current take home pay isn't enough consider taking on another job to make this move financially doable.

These must be done and planned out. Last thing you want is to move and realize you cannot afford to live in LA. Put things in writing with your friend. Get things signed and planned out. Discuss all expectations and plans beforehand.
  • dreamerMJCdreamerMJC Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Been there, doin it now.

I grew up in Miami, and now I live in Central Valley. My best friend in high school lives outside San Diego because he went into the Marines straight out of high school.

A) stupid idea
    B) you need money, and lots of it.
    C) don't count on finding a job

For starters California is one of the top states for highest cost of living and highest unemployment rate. It doesn't make for great prospects. I live in a tiny city in the central valley, far enough away from the major cities, and the cost of living here is comparable to what I paid for a rink a dink studio in the ghettos of Hollywood, Fl. I can't imagine the costs to live in one of the major cities, but expect it to be more than Miami.

I will say, because I am a resident of the state, I can take advantage of in state tution and aid, like the BOG fee waiver. And overall, the units cost less for iin state than they did when I went to BCC and that was years ago. I have no idea how much they've gone up since then, but probably significantly more. School has become my full time job. And I plan on doing tutoring with the school for more income. But don't expect to become a resident of the state till you are 24, because your pqrents still live in Florida. Thats a whole other can of worms to look into.

As for moving your personal belongings, expected at least 2 grand. I moved my stuff from Orlando to Dallas last summer and it was nearly $900. I used ABF freight. I packed the front of the trailer at their facility, then they dropped the trailer off at my aunt's place and I unloaded it. I couldn't afford to ship it all the way to CA, nor do I have the room for all my stuff in the tiny apartment I have now.

You can either do a road trip if you want your car, or hire a trucking company and expect to spend big bucks on it. There are companies that move cars across the nation, so its not uncommon, just expensive. I didn't have a car, but I would've driven it. Or you can sell it and purchase a more reasonable car when you get to CA. Expect gas to be about 50-75 cents more than what you pay now. At that distance, it becomes more expensive to do a DIY move, like a uhaul aith car trailer hitch. You'll still need a few hundred for tax, tag, and all that wonderful stuff of moving across state borders. You have to take the written test to get a CA license.

I can't wait to get back to Florida. I have no regrets about leaving Miami, but I do miss Orlando. There's hundreds of awesome cities to visit across the US, it doesn't make it ideal to live there.

If anything, it will turn into a huge life lesson, and one you probably don't want to learn the hard way.
This discussion has been closed.