Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The C Student vs The A Student

13»

Replies to: The C Student vs The A Student

• FaintSmileFaintSmile Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    People who are straight A students, usually don't have much time to be social or develop contacts. So if you take a smart person who spends zero time studying and gets Cs, and builds good contacts and compare them to a 4.0 who spent most of their time in their dorm room studying, I would certainly take the odds on the C student.

But I'd probably prefer the odds of the person who had a balance between the two. Someone more like in the 3.5 range, who did study, but had a life outside of it.
  • zadiesmithfanzadiesmithfan Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    In my personal opinion, there really isn't such thing as a quintessential A nor C student. Of course, there are probably plenty of students whose abilities well-exceed what may be gathered by a transcript, as there are those who bust their asses for the 4-point weight of an 89.5 in every class. There are also students who fit into each category whose faults are not within their own control. I have brilliant peers with 2300+ SAT scores, but GPAs that pale in comparison due to learning/attention impediments that make it difficult to complete assignments on-time, memorize large sums of information efficiently in short periods, etc. Important to also take into consideration is the factor of how many students work jobs to support their families, and have arrangements where even sporadic, intensive studying doesn't cut it. There isn't a defining line between the two. Sure, you can take two (upper) middle-class kids of similar socioeconomic backgrounds, standardized test scores, and extrinsic/uncontrollable factors, place them in the same room, and ask why one has a 4.0 while the other has a 2.5. You'll probably gather that the former places more importance on education, studying, staying on-task, paying attention during class, etc. Is that binary mentality really applicable to the reality of it all? Of course, it isn't. Some straight-A students pick up the book once, and it's right before exams mandated by someone or a company rather than their own instructor and unrelated to their actual grades. Plenty of C-students do work hard, but still have difficulty grasping certain concepts. They may even be challenging themselves in areas they already find arduous. As much of a cliché as it may seem, everyone has certain strengths and certain weaknesses. The conventional education systems don't cater to everyone's strengths or ideal learning settings. I personally learn much-better in classes where discussion-based learning is implemented. That environment may equally be someone's road to a dreadful, unaccommodating class and experience.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,330 Senior Member
    This thread was started 2 years ago.
  • chem12geekchem12geek Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    I would like to add a point here, that all C and A students cannot be the same.
    You will find successful A students as well as unsuccessful A students. Same goes for C students.
    We are humans, we change and adapt to different situations. The one who adapts better than the other, becomes the boss regardless of how much GPA he/she got.
    Humans constantly evolve. This trait of ours is what separates us from lifeless robots.
13»
This discussion has been closed.