Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

If there were Ivy Leagues in the west coast...

TerminatioTerminatio Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
edited June 2013 in College Confidential Cafe
What colleges do you think would be considered the same level? :) Just curious to see what people say.
Post edited by Terminatio on

Replies to: If there were Ivy Leagues in the west coast...

• whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,638 Senior Member
    We already have extremely academically challenging, and quite selective schools on the West Coast. Berkeley, UCLA, and U Washington are among the best universities in the nation. Berkeley's intro chem is just as rigorous as MIT's.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 69,869 Senior Member
    Level of what? Selectivity, course rigor, athletic competitiveness, or something else?
  • XtremePowerXtremePower Registered User Posts: 1,661 Senior Member
    UC-Berkeley, Stanford and CalTech.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 69,869 Senior Member
    whenhen wrote:
    Berkeley's intro chem is just as rigorous as MIT's.

Berkeley has two levels of introductory chemistry. One is for students majoring in chemistry or chemical engineering. The other is for students majoring in biology, non-chemical engineering, or whatever other majors need chemistry (though they can take the one for chemistry or chemical engineering majors).

MIT has two levels of introductory chemistry and a materials science alternative. Although any can be used as a prerequisite to advanced chemistry, students are supposed to choose between the two levels of introductory chemistry based on previous chemistry knowledge. All MIT undergraduate students have to take one of these three.

So it is not necessarily a straightforward comparison.
  • comfortablycurtcomfortablycurt Registered User Posts: 2,182 Senior Member
    Berkeley, Caltech, and Stanford. As far as grad school goes, I'm not even interested in any Ivy's. MIT is the only east coast school that I'm even interested in, but the previous three I mentioned are much more appealing to me.

Really though, do we need a list of west coast schools that can be considered "Ivy's?" Some of the schools on the west coast are every bit as good, if not BETTER than the Ivy's.
This discussion has been closed.