Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Should I stick to cs or change to economics major?

Aero888Aero888 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hey, I'm kinda stressed out about what I should do to finish my undergrad career. I have about a 2.3 CS gpa and I'm not sure if its worth it to continue as a CS major or switch to an economics major to get a second change on gpa. It would take about the same amount of time for both. What would you suggest I should do?

Replies to: Should I stick to cs or change to economics major?

• ITransferIITransferI Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Quite honestly, CS degree is so much more useful than Economics degree
    Changing is your own choice I guess... If you are determined to do it, then why not? but I just want to say that you will have more opportunities with CS degree
  • Aero888Aero888 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Does it still provide more opportunities even with a low gpa?
  • PengsPhilsPengsPhils Forum Champion Northeastern, Forum Champion Math/Computer Science Posts: 3,596 Forum Champion
    I think the real question here is do you enjoy CS? People here focus so much on money and not what will make you happy. Would you be happier doing Econ? If they are equal, then yes opportunities become a big factor. But is there any difference to you personally? My guess is you probably aren't a CS person with a 2.3 GPA, though maybe you love it and just aren't strong in the field.
  • VulgarUnicornVulgarUnicorn Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    School also matters a ton. An economics degree coming out of Harvard is wildly different than an economics degree coming out of Wisconsin State. Economics is not a good undergrad degree unless you're pursuing a master's in most cases. If your school is not a top 20 B school, Econ is not much different than an African Studies major. It's pretty much "generic college degree". No one is looking for economic majors from state schools.

As far as employment goes, a low GPA will make it harder to find your first job. But from that point, CS 4.0 is darn similar to CS 2.0. With even two years in the work force, no one is going to give two flips about your GPA.
  • scholarmescholarme Registered User Posts: 2,546 Senior Member
    Do you like programming? If you like programming, and are having fun learning the popular languages & platforms, and get a kick out of learning to do something new within a program, then graduating with a "portfolio" of projects, programs or apps can be more impressive than a high GPA when you are interviewing for a job. In which case, stick with CS and focus on doing projects is my advice.
    If you hate programming find another major.
This discussion has been closed.