Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Which would you rather go to?

Jarjarbinks23Jarjarbinks23 Registered User Posts: 769 Member
Lets say you got accepted into NYU's Stern business school (one of the best in the nation) and into Tulane's Freeman Undergrad Business School (nowhere near as good as Stern)

NYU's ranking is #32 while Tulane's is #52.

However, NYU offers you financial aid of $10k/year, so youll have $50k/year to pay, while Tulane offers you a full ride (AKA "Paul Tulane Award") for all 4 years?

Which would you go to? I would choose Tulane since that would mean no loans to pay off, and the school itself is pretty decent.

Replies to: Which would you rather go to?

• Jarjarbinks23Jarjarbinks23 Registered User Posts: 769 Member
  • EkatteEkatte Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    First I want to disclose my bias, in that I'm a parent of a student who's attending a lesser-ranked school on a full-tuition scholarship. Graduating debt-free is a worthy goal.

Tulane suffered from a business school scandal a few years ago. It seems that an employee may have been submitting inflated GMAT scores in order to raise the school's overall national ranking. They seem to be working hard to put the scandal behind them. If you graduate from Tulane you may or may not have to overcome a little bit of prejudice against the school. However, I fully believe that if you work hard, get good grades, take advantage of extracurricular opportunities and have positive intern experiences, that will go a long way towards getting you a good job when you graduate.

Employers will always find a reason to pick one person over another. However, if one employer turns you down because you went to the wrong school, another employer will gain from your talents. It's up to you to convince any employer that you're the right person for the job.

Good luck with your decision!
This discussion has been closed.