Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I screwed up.... What should I do?

dicerollpicklesdicerollpickles Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited April 2014 in College Confidential Cafe
So, I screwed up. I was stupid and didn't apply to any colleges because I thought I would be fine with just transferring from a junior college. I am not. I really regret my choice. What should I do? Would it be possible to take a gap year and actually apply to universities and is there anything I should watch out for/ do to help myself? Or would it be impossible and I have to suck it up and wait out the transfer?

Edit: Oh, and I am a senior in high school. Not already in junior college.

Replies to: I screwed up.... What should I do?

• MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 36,528 Super Moderator
    If I were you, I would try to get some basic courses out of the way at the junior college, then transfer next year. You'll save some money and still end up at a school you'll like. The other option would be to work this year and apply for 2015. Either way would be OK.
  • JaitazJaitaz Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    Your GC can likely provide you with a list of colleges that are still trying to fill their class after May 1. There should be at least somewhere you can still get in.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,280 Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    Here is a list of schools with late deadlines (6/1 or later):

http://www.petersons.com/college-search/late-deadline-schools.aspx#6-1-2013

You would want to double check on the school's website to make sure this is accurate, it is actually last year's list. So there may be some variation -- but it is a good starting point.

There is also a list published of college that still have spaces that usually shows up on CC later in the spring (colleges don't know their yield yet, so I think it probably isn't available until later in May).
  • MatachinesMatachines Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    It'd be best to use a year to study at a junior college and/or work, then transfer.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,280 Senior Member
    Financial aid often isn't as good for transfer students, though. So one year of CC with a transfer can be the worst deal financially. If the OP starts at CC, they should probably get their two year degree and transfer.
  • dyiu13dyiu13 Registered User Posts: 2,866 Senior Member
    Do you need a freshman scholarships and grants from 4-year college? If so, I'd recommend creating an interesting gap year and applying in the next admissions cycle for a fall 2015 start. You might want to try for fall 2014 at schools still taking applications. Though that depends too. Maybe you'd like to save money by doing two years at junior college then transferring. But, if I read your post correctly, you'd like to avoid junior college. You can share more details, like intended major, etc., to get better feedback.
  • MatachinesMatachines Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    intparent, you are right. I guess I meant "if nothing else works out". Two years is also a good idea. It should not be too hard to get all As (I think), and with a job or interesting projects you have a decent resume for your applications.
This discussion has been closed.