Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will anyone do me the favor of looking over my PS?

startandstopstartandstop Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I am applying to most UC's please let me know what you guys think. Thank you in advance.

Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud, and how does it relate to the person you are?

Being the oldest of my siblings I've always had to be a responsible caretaker which developed a yearning to tend to others. The last 5 years have been hard on our family with my parents announcing their separation and just recently my paternal grandmother suffered multiple strokes, leaving her in the hospital for close to a month. I was in the hospital with her almost everyday making sure she knew how much we cared about her. Being the only English speaker around, the doctors would always try to inform me on her health. As hard as that time was in my life, I knew that pursuing a career in the medical field was my destiny. I remember one of the doctors told me that being studious is one thing but empathy is what puts the patients at ease. I know that having empathy isn’t essential to be a good doctor, but having it is what drives me to continue school in the rough patches.
Unfortunately, after my grandmother was released from the hospital she was still in critical condition. Other than my mother she is a woman I look up to, so I did anything I could to help her; from driving her to her doctor appointments to helping her with household chores, while attending school and working part time. It was a very stressful time in my life, but being a responsible and headstrong person, I persevered. Thankfully everything is now considerably under control with her, and she has her loving family to thank.
As mentioned, my parents decided on their separation after 16 years of marriage, and although that was about 5 years ago, my family is still affected. My parents have always been a great role models, making sure we weren’t in the crossfire, thus my father made the decision to move out. Oddly enough, the separation forced me to be closer to both of my parents by. At first I was very resentful of my father, but I eased up and was with him during the rough times he went through when he was let go of his job. The perplexed expression on his face softened me up and I reassured him I would be willing to help out with anything. Naturally, my mother was affected emotionally, since after 16 years of marriage she felt out of place not being a housewife, so I had to step up and support her emotionally just how she has for me. Through rough situations, I went from being a careless teen to a responsible young woman, not by force, but naturally because I love helping others. Going through many ups and downs in my life has managed to make a more optimistic person. Whenever I am going through a hard time I think back on the difficulties I have faced, and how through my hard work and unselfishness I am where I want to be in life.
This discussion has been closed.