right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Petroleum Engineering

rmitchell80rmitchell80 0 replies2 threads New Member
I want to be a Petroleum Engineer but I do not want to be constantly moving and going to different countries. I have been looking through the discussions and have not been able to find an answer to a couple of questions. If i do become a Petroleum Engineer do I have to move to a different state or country or can I stay in New Jersey. And lastly if I were to stay in my state would I be able to make the same amount of money as someone who was moving and going to different countries. If it is different could you tell me how much of a pay cut it is. Thank you
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Petroleum Engineering

• iamfunisweariamfuniswear 37 replies6 threads Junior Member
    You cannot stay in New Jersey. Think about it. What does a petroleum engineer do? What is petroleum? Oil. Where is oil found. Not near New Jersey, that's for sure. Move to Texas or Louisiana, somewhere near the Gulf. You don't have to go to different countries. You could be involved in research at a university though(pay cut is maybe half). Most petroleum engineers work on oil rigs for months/years at a time. They make amazing money. The job is hazardous. You will never see your family. You might die. You could make a mistake and get fired and never get another job. Also, if you want to do research at a university as a petroleum engineer, there is no option in New Jersey. There's no oil nearby, therefore no resources, and no reason to conduct research that would benefit the state. You have to move somewhere else.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity