right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!

How do I become completely independent with just an Associate's Degree?

creamcakecreamcake 34 replies8 threads Junior Member
Right now, I'm taking classes at a community college. In a few months, I'll hopefully have an Associate's Degree in math. I'm almost 21, and It'll be at least another three years before I have a Bachelor's Degree or higher. I still live with my parents, and I have a temporary, part-time job that's not nearly enough to support myself. I get paid a little over $100 per week. I really don't want to be 23 or 24 and still live with my parents. And before you say it, I know I should be grateful that they're still willing to support me 3 years into my adulthood, but they order me around a lot. They're always on top of my academically, when I have my own methods of studying, and they've even tried to make me do my job differently. And since I'm living under their roof, I owe it to them to listen to them, which is precisely why I want to move out and live on my own. I want to be completely control of my life and be completely self-reliant. Is it possible to do this with just an Associate's Degree. Is so, how? Thanks!
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How do I become completely independent with just an Associate's Degree?

• SeattleTWSeattleTW 1109 replies37 threads Senior Member
    Yes, invest in real estate, as in buying and selling or renting properties.
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3800 replies14 threads Senior Member
    You need to find a job that pays more than $100 per week. Do you ever look at the employment ads at your community college or the 4 year college you will be attending next? And you need to find roommates if you are going to live on your own.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 36196 replies397 threads Senior Member
    There are even some programs at CC that get you a certificate where you can get employed part-time or full time and earn far more than $100/week. Even tutoring students in math could net you more, if you get students who want your services or work at a test prep center, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7948 replies160 threads Senior Member
    Realize that the only way to do it is to quit school and work full time. In many parts of the country, it takes close to a full time salary to pay for rent, utilities, and food.

I agree that, regardless of your plans, you need to find a job that pays more. It sounds as though you're working something like 12 hours a week at minimum wage?? That's pretty much the exact summer job my 15 year old daughter applied for yesterday.
    · Reply · Share
  • creamcakecreamcake 34 replies8 threads Junior Member
    I would taken on a better job if I could have? A lot is this is beyond my control.
    · Reply · Share
    Sorry, I don't know why I put a question mark.
    · Reply · Share
    I've been trying to tutor, but it hasn't worked. When I applied, I forgot to follow a rule, but I was disqualified.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity