Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

If not Disney World, then where?

2»

Replies to: If not Disney World, then where?

• bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,186 Senior Member
    OK, good to know... where in Canada would you go from Niagara Falls?
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 1,852 Senior Member
    Toronto?
    It's been years since I've been there but I remember some pretty interesting things to see there.
  • TorveauxTorveaux Registered User Posts: 1,461 Senior Member
    Maybe you consider your time and think about seeing the USA? Find some anchor locations. We took a trip a few years ago that spanned 4700 miles in 10 days. 26 states checked off of the list. Saw Niagara, Hershey, Gettysburg, NYC, Boston, Chicago and much more. You can easily modify a driving vacation. It really helped the kids put the country in perspective. It also helped with them being able to visualize history and geography.

As for Vegas...lived there 20 years ago. Still have MIL there. There is a great deal to do there for families...there are shows and rides in the strip area. Better, there are parks and resorts nearby. Short drive to Red Rock Canyon or Hoover/Boulder Dam. Mesquite is about an hour away and the beautiful Virgin River gorge. Mt. Charleston is an erstwhile 'ski' resort 45 minutes out of downtown, but it is better as a hiking location. The elevation cools it down from the rest of the city. The real problem with Vegas is your schedule...it is going to be 110 degrees or more there in July. Sure, it is dry heat and preferable to the muggy version, but if you decide to do Vegas, maybe shoot for earlier in the year.
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us Registered User Posts: 907 Member
    could you do a modified orlando type vacation? 2-3 days in cocoa beach or daytona beach, 2 days in orlando on non-property hotels and visit universal? my 17/19/14/10 yr olds loved universal last year, and LOVED the beach. we saw a rocket launch as well from cape canaveral (free!).
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,186 Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure we want to go to a place, unpack, and stay there for a week.

And Vegas was just a jumping off place, one where that I was confident was budget friendly. To be honest, I floated the idea to my husband and kids, and no one was particularly enthusiastic about it.

If that's off the table, we're probably talking east coast, ballpark 5-6 hours drive from Long Island. So basically, from southern Canada to DC to I'm not sure how far west. ("East" only extends a bit more than an hour before we hit ocean ;) )

• tantillatantilla Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Did you hear also about this amusement park from the artist Bansky - Dismaland, great! I saw pictures of it and was delighted!
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 36,000 Super Moderator
    There's a lot to see in southern Maine. Ogunquit has a lot of cute shops and a nice beach. You could take day trips to Portland, Boothbay Harbor, etc. I could give you specific suggestions if you end up coming here. :)
  • novicemom23kidsnovicemom23kids Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    Montreal and Quebec City would be my suggestion -- A European experience without the travel and expense of Europe. You can drive from NY
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 3,604 Senior Member
    How about DC? Its such a great city to visit.
  • mdcmommdcmom Registered User Posts: 748 Member
    Quebec City is beautiful. I second novicemom on that one. I was fortunate enough to go with my mom who speaks French and that was a huge help.
2»
This discussion has been closed.