right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Super super lost on what to do for the next 2 years. Advice?

annanaannana 430 replies33 threads Member
edited May 2016 in College Confidential Cafe
Okay guys, I know I've made a ton of posts about this, so sorry if it's getting annoying.
I'm currently at a college prep school that has no funding, so they only offer honors and AP classes so they can be granted college prep status by the district. And these aren't your typical run-of-the-mill honors and AP classes, they are hard as hell. The AP classes are on par to the classes at our nearby university and sometimes even harder, and many of the honors courses are also similar. I took 3 honors(calc, english, spanish) and 3 AP classes(chem, econ, world) this year and I got incredibly stressed out and had multiple nervous breakdowns. I actually had to be hospitalized twice.
Next year and senior year are going to be even worse since I was supposed to take 4-5 AP classes both years. All the juniors at my school are required to take AP physics 1, AP lang, and APUSH and it will be even worse for me since I tested into physics C and calc BC. I also have to take gov and lit senior year(pretty deathly according to the upperclassmen) along with dual enrollment math and science since my school doesn't take credits from middle school. I also need at least one more spanish class(honors) and whatever I choose to do senior year, it will have to be AP because I will have ran out of honors classes.
Most of the schools near me are full, and the one that will take me is in a heavy gang area and has stabbings/shootings every year. Really, the only options are to go to a school on the other side of town or homeschool, and my parents don't like either option so they want me to stay at my current school. We've tried everything with the administrators, but they won't let me reduce my class load. I really don't want my next two years to be as horrible as this one, and I'm just dreading every moment that passes until I graduate. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in this situation for now, so does anyone have advice on how to manage this course load without becoming ridiculously stressed?
I know this is a tough situation to analyze on the internet, but any advice would be appreciated.
edited May 2016
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Super super lost on what to do for the next 2 years. Advice?

• AroundHereAroundHere 3608 replies22 threads Senior Member
    If there aren't any other high schools that will take you, do you have any interest in something like early college? Rather than dual-enrollment, you could just enroll in the community college or the neighboring university, then register for the right number of classes for you (maybe 3 rather than 6 per term).
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43463 replies473 threads Senior Member
    I would suggest homeschool with dual enrollment : 4 community college classes and 2 "regular" high school classes taken online or self directed (you or your parents create a reading list and you read, or participate in something through the library, etc.)
    The schedule planned for you has hurt your health. You should NOT stay in such an environment.
    · Reply · Share
  • annanaannana 430 replies33 threads Member
    @AroundHere @MYOS1634 awesome, thanks
    · Reply · Share
    Don't you have an in-district public school (beside the gang-ridden one)?
    · Reply · Share
  • annanaannana 430 replies33 threads Member
    @MYOS1634 no, all of the half decent ones are full. There are so many horrible schools in the district that everyone flocks to a select few and they're full by February.
    · Reply · Share
    Then, homeschooling with a set of classes at the local CC seems like the best idea: you'll still have classes with others but you won't be under such stress that it endangers your health.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity