right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Which Ivy would you pick and why?

WorryHurry411WorryHurry411 950 replies162 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,112 Senior Member
Every year we read about one lucky kid who got accepted to all Ivies, if it was you or your kid facing this choice and had full financial ride then which one would you pick and why?
22 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Which Ivy would you pick and why?

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14638 replies974 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15,612 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    It would depend on what the kid wants versus what each Ivy offers. The Ivies are not carbon copies of each other.

E.g. A student who loves Brown for its open curriculum would likely hate Columbia with its rigid core curriculum.
    edited September 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • anxiousenior1anxiousenior1 1074 replies57 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,131 Senior Member
    I think that's the point of the question; asking which one YOU would choose and why?
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33171 replies767 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,938 Senior Member
    Brown. Open curriculum and seems to me (and mind you I was never on the ivy train so I'm not so familiar with these schools) to be the most liberal of the bunch.
    · Reply · Share
  • WorryHurry411WorryHurry411 950 replies162 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,112 Senior Member
    Exactly, which one would YOU pick for yourself or YOUR kid?
    · Reply · Share
  • WorryHurry411WorryHurry411 950 replies162 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,112 Senior Member
    I would pick Harvard as no other school has that kind of accomplished alumni list, they must be doing something right, well other then enrolling brightest minds.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarianMarian 13173 replies83 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,256 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    I would pick Cornell because I actually did pick Cornell and it turned out well for me.

The free ride would have been nice. :)
    edited September 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • AboutTheSameAboutTheSame 3070 replies44 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,114 Senior Member
    I would pick Dartmouth because of its open and welcoming faculty when a certain high school senior came to visit, as opposed to Harvard and the red tape it threw in the way of an accepted applicant.
    · Reply · Share
  • cnp55cnp55 3648 replies152 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,800 Senior Member
    I would pick Cornell. I'm named after a Cornell, my kids both went to Cornell, and I would really have liked to go there. My folks absolutely could not afford it, back in the day, so it would only have been on the table with a full ride. I'm a fan of the "any person, any study" motto.
    · Reply · Share
  • ClarinetDad16ClarinetDad16 3303 replies119 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,422 Senior Member
    For me Wharton
    My son Yale School of Music
    · Reply · Share
  • writer80writer80 745 replies110 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 855 Member
    edited September 2016
    Cornell. I love Ithaca, and Cornell is just so breathtaking and I feel that is has a perfect natural beauty, campus and academic ratio! It also offers my intended major and has some pretty awesome alumni, some of whom I looked up to when I was a kid. :) Love, Love, Love Cornell!
    edited September 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys 16616 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,682 Senior Member
    Dartmouth hands down. My kids dislike urban areas in general and love to ski and for each dartmouth had strong academics in their area of interest. We visited with all three but none applied. One preferred Colby and the other two were not interested in the NE region. Cornell would be a close second.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 8973 replies485 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,458 Senior Member
    Brown. It's the "cool" Ivy, with a bit of street cred. Plus, love the open curriculum.
    · Reply · Share
  • CollegeAngstCollegeAngst 166 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
    Kid is interested in Math. So it would probably be Princeton. Besides the campus is so pretty. Also like the fact that their Alum network is very strong and helpful and exhibits a lot of school pride.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32019 replies158 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 32,177 Senior Member
    Years ago, I applied to three and picked Harvard. If I had it to do over again, I'd have applied to Yale instead. It was a better fit for my interests and I like the way they do the house system better. My oldest wanted something techier than what the Ivies had to offer. He turned down Harvard for Carnegie Mellon. I think my youngest would have been happy at Brown, but he didn't get in. In retrospect, I think he should have gone to U of Chicago.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32019 replies158 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 32,177 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    I think he would have liked the intellectual approach. Tufts campus politics irritated him. He liked the idea of a Core Curriculum.
    edited September 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • MOMANDBOYSTWOMOMANDBOYSTWO 457 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 460 Member
    Favorite Ivies; Princeton, Cornell, Brown.

Applied and got accepted to Brown, Penn and Cornell in the old days, and picked Cornell, primarily because of the gorgeous setting and a really cute guy I met there during my visit spring HS senior year! All the Ivies seemed fairly equal to me academically, so I made my choices based on more "holistic" attributes of the campuses.

Princeton seemed very male-oriented back then, so I didn't apply, but now it seems almost perfect. Yale, Harvard, and Columbia were too urban, and Dartmouth was too remote/outdoorsy. Still feel the same about those schools after visiting with my kids. Turned out Penn was too urban for me too, but I guess I applied anyway? I was 17....

Of course, I would likely get into none of the above if I were actually applying today!
    · Reply · Share
  • shawbridgeshawbridge 5678 replies53 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,731 Senior Member
    Princeton. It was male oriented back then. It had/has a world class faculty with an undergraduate orientation (differs from Harvard which is very grad-student oriented or Brown which doesn't have nearly the same faculty strength). If I had a tech-oriented kid with some semblance of being well-rounded, I'd pick Stanford. Possibly Yale, though New Haven is a bit of a drawback. But, I think leadership has caused Princeton and Stanford to advance relative to Yale (and others) over the last couple of decades.
    · Reply · Share
  • MOMANDBOYSTWOMOMANDBOYSTWO 457 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 460 Member
    @shawbridge If Stanford were an Ivy, I also would have listed it above, as my first choice. But, it wasn't really an option for answering OP's original question about an Ivy directly. (I probably also would have had USC as a top 5 favorite!)
    · Reply · Share
  • bloxJacketbloxJacket 90 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    I wouldn't lol
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity