right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Financial Aid Rights and Fee Waivers

HeimerdingerHeimerdinger 3 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5 New Member
Hi everyone,

UCLA graduate program offers fee waivers on a need basis. The requirements are that I am currently enrolled as a student and I can show proof that I receive need-based financial aid.

The way I prove that is simply by contacting my financial aid adviser at my current school and requesting that they write a statement with a few sentences about me receiving need-based financial aid. It should be a simple process. I would then take that letter and attach it to the application.

However, it seems that my school financial aid office is sort of being difficult. And there's this little nut in my brain telling me they're going to make it even more difficult because they want to be right and me wrong. They said I can show my SAR or EFC report and don't want to write letters. But, UCLA website clearly states they will ONLY take that letter from the financial aid officer no EFC or other type of report.

What are my rights if my financial aid office refuses to write that simple note saying I am receiving need-based financial aid. They've already vocalized to me over the phone that I am a need-base student, but they just need to get an adviser to put it in writing.

Thank you for reading this and your time.
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Financial Aid Rights and Fee Waivers

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14638 replies974 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15,612 Senior Member
    If your tone with your college was the same as your tone n your post, you may have created this problem yourself.
    · Reply · Share
  • redpoodlesredpoodles 2078 replies32 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,110 Senior Member
    Print out the directions from the UCLA website and contact your financial aid office again. You might get a nicer person this time. Can you attach your most recent financial award letter (or all four of them)? Also, I don't see anything wrong with the tone of your post!
    · Reply · Share
  • HeimerdingerHeimerdinger 3 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5 New Member
    edited September 2016
    Thank you for the response. So, I did send them an email after they had asked me to send them the link to the fee waiver page. I also took a snapshot of the section that pertains to me from that UCLA page.

They're still not helping. What's frustrating is that it's just a small note from them to make it official. Maybe I don't see the big deal in that. Like I said they already said over the phone I was a need-based student.

What would be my rights if they deny me the letter? The fee waiver isn't coming from my current school. I don't see the reasoning why they'd deny me that letter.
    edited September 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • jillpnkjillpnk 159 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    Maybe you could write the letter yourself and then bring it to the office for someone to verify the information in the letter, and then sign it.
    · Reply · Share
  • HeimerdingerHeimerdinger 3 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Honestly, when UCLA on their website say that they need a letter from the Financial Aid Officer and then I turn around call my Financial Aid Officer who tells me they don't write letters. And then UCLA says No EFC reports or SAR and I turn around and my Financial Aid office says to use that. What am I to do? I need the help and it sounds as if I can receive the fee waiver. Only thing in my way is my own school who's likely going to write the letter bend their own rules but give me hassle on the way there.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity