Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will I ever make it?

tfwnoqtgftfwnoqtgf Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hello I am new to this forum and im in my first semester of college. I am 17 and have been struggling with all my classes.
I think my problem is that I simply have no real interest in any subjects i'm learning. I don't care for them. I can try to memorize stuff all I want but from what I am seeing as math gets more advanced if you simply don't have an attraction towards it there is no way you can wrap your mind around the idea. I don't even know what I want to do, I tell people and my parents that I want to be an engineer but in reality I have no idea or have any care for engineering. Anything I find cool/interesting will not help me in my future in any way. Should I even bother going to college? I never wanted this to begin with, but then again I have no idea what I am going to do so college is better than nothing.

Replies to: Will I ever make it?

• EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 1,132 Senior Member
    First I think its really normal not to know what you want to do at 17. I think that is one of the hardest aspects of being a high school graduate - you are supposed to have a plan of what you want to do when in reality that is very hard with limited life experience and maturity. I am married to an engineer and I certainly understand why you don't have any care for engineering. I think its awful! :) And you are right...if you don't have an attraction toward math it's going to be impossible to be successful with it. I remember when my dh was in graduate school. looking at his math was like looking at a foreign language. I might suggest a few things...first be honest with your parents. Simply tell them that engineering isn't for you and that you don't know what you want to do. Next, talk to an advisor and/or career counselor at your school. (or talk to the counselor before the parents) You can possibly work on your general education requirements so you are moving forward and at the same time explore what you might like to get a degree in. Lastly, others might disagree with me but I think its also fine to take time off from college and work. Use this time to save money, mature and start to figure out a better educational path for you. 17 is so young and you have so much time ahead of you.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,590 Senior Member
    Anything I find cool/interesting will not help me in my future in any way

I think you need to give yourself permission to study what you find cool and interesting. Combine your studies with either a minor in a practical subject or with internships or work experience and you will be okay.

Talking to academic and career advising at your school will be helpful in determining a new plan to try. You may also want to talk to wellness counseling about the stress you are feeling.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,871 Senior Member
    edited October 2016
    WHAT interests you?

Engineering can be a great major for the right person. You're not that person, apparently. Time to become open-minded and think of all the amazing possibilities available to you in college and beyond!
    Actually, outside of a few fields (engineering, nursing, teaching), your major doesn't matter for your "future" ie., career. It doesn't lock you into anything. Pick a major in which you'll be dynamite and stand out, about topics you're passionate about. If you're passionate about nothing, explore next semester and see if anything seems worth investigating further. It could be portuguese-speaking migrations to the US, decrease in container ship traffic, ethics of AI, whatever. You can major in absolutely anything and get a good job - what matters is the social skills you get which will help you network (then, network!), the leadership roles you take on and thus the leadership skills you develop, the internships you have and how well you do there, and to a point your love for the subject. (It's hard to hire someone who looks bored about their major :p).
    In fact, a strong student in any subject with all of the above, will get a job. A lousy engineer? Not so much - if ever you make it as an engineer, and if you don't "get" math and don't "think engineering", it's unlikely. After all 2/3 students switch, sometimes because it's too hard, but also oftentimes because they find other subjects more interesting. And a college graduate, any major, makes more than a college drop out.

Next semester, take classes you find interesting, in a variety of subjects (this is required by your collegeanyway, so that you're an educated citizen). Use the guise of "gen ed requirement" to take classes that interest you even if they're not engineering. If your parents expect stem classes, take statistics (useful to any job, can always be listed under "relevant coursework" on your resume) and introduction to CS but emphasize that you MUST take a class in the Humanities, in Art, and in Social Science.

I second going to the health center and asking about wellness/stress counselling, plus going to the career center to talk with people there. Only then, go talk to your parents. Only discuss your confusion without a plan to discuss if they're flexible and helpful and will support you; if they're helicopter parents or tiger parents who insist on one major and/or one career path, you need to prepare your talk with them. In that case, don't talk to them until you have better ideas about your likes and dislikes, jobs you may look into, careers you may be interested in, even an internship you may take on this summer to see if a field could interest you. Essentially, if switching majors is likely to create a family crisis, talk to your parents once you know what you're doing.
This discussion has been closed.