Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my options after graduating with a low GPA?

jthemunijthemuni Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I'm currently an Economics major, a little over a year away from graduation, my GPA is a 2.3. The reason my regular GPA is so low is because I spent three years in a major I wasn't motivated in and was really depressed by. About a year ago I made a topic about it here:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-confidential-cafe/1799119-help-figuring-out-where-to-go-in-university-next.html
(luckily I found out I actually was able to switch to Economics, just the arts/sciences version, THANK GOD, there was a solution to this situation).

I was really able to just set this aside in my head and focus on doing well for now.

My major GPA is above a 3.0, but not by much. The reason my major GPA isn't higher is really just entirely because I suck at taking exams. I honestly think I would have straight As in all of my economics-related classes so far if it wasn't for that, in class discussions and homeworks I'm able to demonstrate my understanding of the material really well but unfortunately exams are where the class counts. And I frequently screw up on exams, either due to panic attacks, me not being able to work quickly, algebra mistakes, or misunderstanding the instructions. I'm always incredibly careful and I've gotten better at taking exams over the years but these things still happen.

Today I've been having a mental breakdown because I found out I got a B- on an exam I should have aced because I misread the instructions on a question on an exam that was worth a lot of points. This really annoys me because I feel like I understand the material more than any class I've taken in the major so far and because I feel like my exam didn't reflect my knowledge of the material.

My mental breakdown led to me look up more information about how GPA and grades affect job outlook, and.....man, I'm terrified. I don't know what I'm going to do. It sounds like it's possible to get a job with a low GPA in economics, but it's a long and arduous task, and the job I end up with is almost certainly not going to pay very well unless I get extremely lucky. I've read that major GPA can help offset total GPA some, but it's not like my major GPA is that great anyways (though it is a big improvement over my regular GPA, which I guess just speaks to how bad that is). Networking and extracurriculars can help but I didn't really do much in the way of that so far. I did some volunteer work and worked a little over the Summers but that's about it as far as extracurriculars go for me, and I haven't networked with anyone who works in the field/is in my major (mostly because I'm scared to talk to others after being harassed by roommates, and because I'm in the autistic spectrum so I suck at communicating to others).

What's the best path to take? I'll try to apply to as many internships for this Summer as I possibly can (and then later jobs, once I graduate). If nothing pans out, what should I do? Will it probably pan out or probably not? I could try going to a trade school, but I have a physical disability (my muscles didn't develop properly). I could work retail/food service for a while and see where that takes me I guess, maybe even work two jobs to make enough money, though that might be miserable. I could try going back to school and majoring in something else, though honestly I'd want to save money before trying that again and I'm not super confident in my academic abilities due to all of the aforementioned problems.

So, advice? Thanks for reading this.
This discussion has been closed.