Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Transferring to UC from out of state (TX) community college credits

HeliosRexHeliosRex Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hello All,

I am new to this forum. This is my first post. I am parent of a Junior, living in Southern California. My daughter is targeting admission to one of the competitive schools in UC (Berkley, LA, SD), planning to major in Biology/Pre-med. She wants to go to Medical school eventually. There might be an opportunity for her to work on an interesting project in Dallas, TX next summer (before she starts her senior year). While spending her summer there, she is planning on doing Anatomy & Physiology from a community college in Dallas (Richmond College, or Northlake). If she were to take a similar course from a California community college, she would get a weighted grade and credit into her High School transcript. Most certainly, she would get a college credit in most of the UCs too. When we spoke to her counselor at High School, she was told that she will get a credit, if the course is UC transferable. Just wondering if anyone has experience with such out-of-state community college credits (just for a course or two) into the UC system. Any insights will be highly appreciated.

HeliosRex

Replies to: Transferring to UC from out of state (TX) community college credits

• kekebellekekebelle Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hello, I took community college courses in California from two different community college, and then transferred to a university in Michigan. I think it is very important that you check directly with the university that your daughter wants to go to because sometimes Anatomy & Phys are grouped into 1 class at a community college, and they need to be taken as individual courses at the university level (I know this is the case at my university). This is also important for pre-med requisites, as courses are specific and pre med is HIGHLY competitive. Also, if this is going toward her degree, then the course credits need to be taken into account as well, such as if the community college course for anatomy is only 3 credits, check to see how many credits anatomy is at a UC school because it will typically be 4 credits. (Anatomy & phsy are typically 4 credits each).
    THIS IS IMPORTANT. Because I ran into this issue when I lived in SoCal and tried transferring to a UC school. If your daughter takes community college courses, she will be put into a "transfer student" category (even just one or two). This means that if your daughter wants to go to a UC school, she will need 60 credits to transfer. This link below gives more information for UC Berkley, but this applies to all UC school. So if your daughter wants to go to a UC school and doesn't want to get stuck spending 2 years (60 credits) at a community college before she goes to a UC school, I would NOT recommend taking any classes before apply to a UC school because that will put her into the "transfer" category.
    http://admissions.berkeley.edu/transferstudents
    Hope this helps!