Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Your vote for "Most Underappreciated" lesser known colleges?

Replies to: Your vote for "Most Underappreciated" lesser known colleges?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,778 Senior Member
    It is very common for students and parents on these forums to think of a potential admission safety as one that is unworthy of the student in that the student "should do better" (i.e. attend a more selective college).
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,428 Forum Champion
    We were happily surprised by Siena College in NY (near Albany). While my S ultimately did not attend Siena it went from being a safety to a final contender.
    --In terms of admission they offered a very quick decision so my S was "in" by October which took a ton of stress off the entire process and saved us money as we did not apply to schools that were lower on his list.
    --In terms of finances, Siena was less expensive than most private schools and offered merit aid.
    --S did an overnight and was impressed by the students, professors he met there. The school moved way up on his list after that visit.
  • kalonskalons Registered User Posts: 638 Member
    denison, dickinson, connecticut college, union, and rhodes!
  • CA1543CA1543 Registered User Posts: 1,618 Senior Member
    Hobart & William Smith? RIT, WPI, Case Western?
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,270 Senior Member
    Clarkson U
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,742 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    @retiredfarmer
    Olin College of Engineering is underrated. The general public does not know who they are and what they are doing. They are hard at work revolutionizing the educational process.

It is the responsibility of the college to make others aware.
    Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
  • 2018hsmom2018hsmom Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    edited January 2018
    Perhaps Olin chooses to remain under the radar so they don't have to grow the size of the university. They are busy with their mission of collaborating with industry and other universities about revolutionizing the educational process. That way their long-term impact is more significant.
  • pbarhugpbarhug Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I wholeheartedly endorse St. Mary's (SMCM) College of Maryland as a hidden gem. I am an alumna; my daughter currently attends and S18 was recently accepted. The quality of education at SMCM easily rivals that of the E-LACs and without all the stresses of such a higly competitive environment. In recent years, SMCM has added many programs, particularly those that focus on study abroad programs and internship opportunities. The school is very popular with students from the DC and Baltimore suburbs, but virtually unheard of outside the region. It's a shame because even the OOS tuition is more affordable than many of the private LACs or universities.
  • JeanJeanieJeanJeanie Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    @pbarhug probably a dumb question, but is SMCM ok with (quiet) atheists? I know other Catholic colleges say they're open to all faiths and non faiths, but just wondering what your daughter's input might be on that? Thanks.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,495 Senior Member
    @JeanJeanie SMCM is a public college not a private Catholic school so atheists and everyone else is welcome! In the Maryland public university/college system, SMCM is targeted as a small honors college with a liberal arts focus.
  • prodesseprodesse Registered User Posts: 1,344 Senior Member
    It's located in historic St. Mary's City in Maryland, hence the name.
  • JeanJeanieJeanJeanie Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    Oh geez. I was looking at the St. Mary's in California (where we are), assuming it was a Western campus of SMCM! :) Thanks for the clarification @doschicos @prodesse