Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Your vote for "Most Underappreciated" lesser known colleges?

JeanJeanieJeanJeanie Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
I presume some folks here could reel off the names of all 4,000+ schools in the U.S. But for those of us who are just waking up to the wide array of colleges out there, I'd love to hear your vote for the most underappreciated or lesser known colleges (and what you think makes them unique or special)?

I'll start:

Soka University in Aliso Viejo, CA
Beautiful (in a well-groomed, sparse way), peaceful, sprawling campus. Average class size: 12 students. Popular major: Peace Studies. Definitely not the place for students looking for a big, bustling uni (only sports teams are swimming, diving, track, xc, soccer and golf). Backs up to a large nature park with many miles of hiking trails. Twenty minute drive to beautiful Laguna Beach. (I'd never choose this one myself, but thought I'd mention it for the solitude-seeking introverts out there!)
http://www.soka.edu/about_soka/default.aspx

Replies to: Your vote for "Most Underappreciated" lesser known colleges?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,968 Senior Member
    JeanJeanie wrote:
    Soka University in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Popular major: Peace Studies.

http://www.soka.edu/academics/academic-faqs.aspx says that "There is only one major at Soka University of America, a BA in Liberal Arts with concentrations in Environmental Studies, Humanities, International Studies or Social and Behavioral Sciences."
  • JeanJeanieJeanJeanie Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    @ucbalumnus we live nearby and recently spoke to two students there who said their major was "Peace Studies." Maybe it's a secret society. :)
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 29,521 Senior Member
    I like St. Mary's College of Maryland. A public university with the look and feel of a LAC. It is on a large river and feels sort of like a summer camp. Remote -- so not for the student who needs a lot to do off campus -- but I thought it was charming. It is a little lower priced than a lot of LACs, too.
  • CorbettCorbett Registered User Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    Soka University stats:

Endowment: $ 1.01 billion
    Enrollment: 419
    Endowment per student: $2.4 million
    Net price (after financial aid): $12,686

Princeton University stats, for comparison:

Endowment: $ 22.2 billion
    Enrollment: 8,181
    Endowment per student: $2.7 million
    Net price (after financial aid): $17,732
  • tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 9,736 Senior Member
    edited November 14
    If Soka is an example of what interests you, then also check out College of the Atlantic in beautiful Bar Harbor, ME. All ~350 students there major in Human Ecology.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 2,112 Senior Member
    edited November 14
    Earlham -- 800 acre campus, egalitarian, great record for producing Ph.D. candidates and other grad school students
    Agnes Scott--small, gorgeous, cross reg with Emory, great mascot, astrophysics for women.
    Sweet Briar -- equestrian sports, gorgeous, ABET-accredited engineering for women, safety school for all
    Mills -- Just lowered tuition to $28K, cross reg with Berkeley
    Sewanee--13,000 acre campus, Harry Potter robes
    Marlboro -- tiny, has a big scholarship available one for each of the 50 states
    Centre -- amazing LAC with arts glass blowing
    Alfred University's Glass Engineering program -- maybe the only one in the country -- https://engineering.alfred.edu/undergrad/ges/
    SUNY's Nanotechnology undergrad program -- https://sunypoly.edu/research/albany-nanotech-complex.html
    Unity College, in Maine--LAC with an environmental thrust -- https://www.unity.edu/
    Green Mountain College -- has a first in sustainability full scholarship -- http://www.greenmtn.edu/sustainabilityscholarship/
    CUNY--a university system called The Harvard of the Proletariat for a reason. It's amazing how many Nobel Prize winners, fashion designers, Pullitzer winning authors and writers, etc. have come out of that university system--and so cheap!
    SUNY FIT--one of the top fashion schools in the world, at rock bottom prices, located in the heart of one of the world's fashion capitals.
  • RecusantSamRecusantSam Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    I will second Sewanee. Breathtakingly beautiful with a stellar academic reputation and does good for the people of central Tennessee.
  • JeanJeanieJeanJeanie Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    @Dustyfeathers wow, I did not know of nearly half of these, thanks!

@Lindagaf our neighbor's son graduated from Whitman and loved it. p.s. he's a professional Ultimate Frisbee player now. :-)

Re: Soka, I just figured I'd mention it because it seems to be off the radar for a lot of people. I'd say, of U.S. colleges, it's the closest to a Zen ! :)

• EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 557 Member
    New England College in Henniker, NH. In my travels I have met a handful of alumni and I couldn't help but notice every single one absolutely loved their college and college experience. It's a love like no other I've seen. The college has a beautiful covered bridge on campus and is located in "the only Henniker on earth." Students have told me that their professors know their name and many are true teachers who were outstanding in their field but chose to retire (or relocate) to the picturesque areas of New Hampshire.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 31,352 Super Moderator
    I've been impressed with Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania. Engaged professors, beautiful campus, and friendly students. My daughter is a sophomore there and loves it. She's in the honors program and writing a sophomore essay with the help of a mentor. She has a job in the student art gallery and plays piano in the jazz band. Every parent and student I've spoken with loves the school.
  • cellomom2cellomom2 Registered User Posts: 484 Member
    Learned about Lawrence University in Wisconsin on CC and now my D goes there. It has a lovely campus that overlooks the Fox River, Architecture on campus takes advantage of the beautiful views over the river. Has a music conservatory so lots of great performing arts opportunities. Appleton is a cute town with a fun downtown district that borders campus. My D has gotten to know lots of professors during her time there and had great research opportunities.