Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where do I go by Prestige?

2»

Replies to: Where do I go by Prestige?

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,829 Senior Member
    If your sole interest is prestige, you're in a rotten Catch-22, as those top colleges like to filter out applicants with a prestige jones. It's so off. It's incomplete thinking. It's not match.
  • MomtofourkidsMomtofourkids Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    No Dartmouth? Do you not view as prestigious? Just wondering...
  • merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 9,107 Senior Member
    The OP expressed this opinion on Dartmouth:

Dartmouth won't come in the top 20 for most prestigious STEM programs
  • scubadivescubadive Registered User Posts: 809 Member
    Having seen alot of colleges over the years and living in the north, south and west you are setting yourself up for a potentially a big disappointment. There are huge cultural differences. Honestly, fit trumps everything else if you are fortunate enough to have choices. At your stage in life everyone is talking about colleges in adulthood few give it a second thought. Going to school in a rural setting versus a big city is a major difference. At least dwindle it down by some other parameter than prestige. Also keep in mind many folks go to state schools all over the country where they are a force to reckon with. In certain areas they dominate the business world. So while you have the prestigious degree you could be passed over for a local alum as well. While you may be biased for prestige others are biased against it. It works both ways.
  • rickle1rickle1 Registered User Posts: 1,343 Senior Member
    Great point above about prestige working against in certain circles. I live in FL and work in financial services. A wholesaler friend of mine works for a high end boutique money mgmt firm based in NY but with offices in several markets. He's a sharp kid, CPA, CFA (which is rare), MBA. He attended U Florida. The NY firm typically hired from the far more prestigious schools up north. He networked in to an interview and thoroughly explained, in his role - dealing with CPAs and Money Managers as a source for their clients - a UF degree was worth a lot more than Harvard (because most of the business people he deals with either went to UF or think of it as a great school. Got the job!

Many things are regional. Think about where youwant to live and what type of environment you want to be in and then try to go to the best (and affordable) school that checks those boxes.
  • mathstarftwmathstarftw Registered User Posts: 332 Member
    Please find some preferences within yourself, but personally I would at least consider taking off Duke, WUSTL, JHU, and some of the UC's.
  • IvyGrad09IvyGrad09 Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    Wow, Burrito12, you really gamed me for hours of my free help on all your many essays--even the last minute ones on New Year's Eve, that I worked on when I was tired from the last barrage of student essays.

I thought I was helping a hardworking, disadvantaged foreign student who needed aid. Instead, you're a calculating prestige-seeker who manipulated my willingness to help.

Had I known prestige (which is but vanity) was your goal, I would not have helped you at all. And I would have helped others more closely.

You make me reconsider working with people who need such time-consuming help with basic English syntax.

Most of all, I should have questioned why you use a Latino online name since you are East Indian.

I guess in retrospect you practice many levels of duplicity.
  • Burrito12Burrito12 Registered User Posts: 264 Junior Member
    edited January 2018
    Dear CC community, I'm really sorry about this thread. My parents really wanted me to post this, as they are only willing to pay for a college that is highly ranked, else they'd like me to pay myself. I am trying to convince them to look at other factors such as fit and everything, but they at least wanted me to get this thread out there. I really do apologize again, and in hindsight, I would have never posted again. Everybody has been so kind and helpful on this site, and I'd never want anybody to feel that I've wronged them in any way. Please let me know if there's any way I can give back. Please forgive me for this mistake.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,566 Senior Member
    So you had somebody else on these forums, write your essays for you, that’s how you apologize?
    And you lied, you’re an international student?
    That’s a really good way to start off your college education by asking strangers for help and then just belittling those people that do help. Yeah both you, and your parents really have a lot of learning to do.
  • Burrito12Burrito12 Registered User Posts: 264 Junior Member
    edited January 2018
    I wrote my own essays completely. IvyGrad09 was very kind, and offered to edit my essays. I'm confused about the international student part; I never made any claims about being or not being an international student.
2»
This discussion has been closed.