Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My holiday challenge to you

bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,520 Senior Member
edited November 2017 in College Confidential Cafe
Well, Thanksgiving is over. Lots of us are inching towards December holidays. For many of us, it's a time to celebrate family, friendship and all we have to be thankful for.

But there are some among us-- in our families, our crowd of friends, our communities-- who are having a hard time this holiday season.

So my challenge to you is to choose one person, and to try to do some small things to bring them joy.

I know we can't solve the big problems, and I'm not asking you to. I'm asking you to anonymously give some small joy to those people having a hard time.

Ideas? Well, I have a friend at work who is having a tough year. Her parents are both sick, her brother doesn't seem to be pitching in either emotionally or physically, and she has a lot on her shoulders. I can't fix any of that. But I can brighten her day in small ways-- a few candy canes in her mailbox-- that sort of thing. Nothing earth shattering, nothing that will require a huge committment from me, merely some small thing that will bring her a smile.

OK-- let's start.

Who's in???

Replies to: My holiday challenge to you

• mcpon14mcpon14 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I always reply to posts on Internet forums that have no replies, in order to give them some love, lol. :)
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,520 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Last chance before Christmas, folks.

Throw some money in a Salvation Army kettle. Go to the deli and pay $10 to treat the next 5 people who order coffee-- my husband does that every Christmas Eve. Stop and think about your neighbors----who is alone this Christmas, who has had a hard year?

Lots of you are looking at a White Christmas. Shoveling snow is a real hardship for the elderly, even for those with young kids bouncing off the walls on Christmas Eve, not so much for healthy high school and college students.

Want to live in the kind of world where people look out for each other? OK, here's the challenge: Make it so! And do it today... regardless of whether you celebrate Christmas or anything else. Do it simply to make your world a better place, to lighten the load of someone else.

And it today doesn't work for you, there's always tomorrow, or next week or next month.
This discussion has been closed.