Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

should I double major to help with future job prospects or grad school?

theFadeoratortheFadeorator Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I am currently a senior graduating next fall in biology, all of my required classes are done for that major and all I need is to reach my colleges credit requirements to graduate. I currently plan to minor in philosophy and could take all philosophy classes next semester to get a second major. Should I do that or should I just stick with a minor? Will the second major help me with finding a future job in biology or grad school? Would taking extra science / math classes next semester be more helpful instead of getting a second major?

Replies to: should I double major to help with future job prospects or grad school?

• zannahzannah Registered User Posts: 1,019 Senior Member
    Your double major is an interesting pair that may balance your thinking and learning. It appears you can finish the cphilosophyb
  • zannahzannah Registered User Posts: 1,019 Senior Member
    Oops philosophy. The pairing is enticing and admissions to grad school may be intrigued. I vote for double major.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 69,098 Senior Member
    According to http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-Degrees_that_Pay_you_Back-sort.html , philosophy is associated with higher pay levels than biology (which generally does not have good major-specific job prospects because of all of the failed pre-meds in the job market). But philosophy graduates do tend to seek non-major-specific jobs, since there are not many jobs for philosophers at the BA/BS level. However, their major combines humanities and logic, giving advantages in thinking skills where many others are lacking in one or the other type.