Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I feel spoiled for going to a private university

abbeyroad7abbeyroad7 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
This is going to be a thread about a stupid first world problem so I apologise in advance.

For some reason I feel extremely spoiled because I will go to one of the most expensive universities in the world and my parents will pay for all of my tuition. I didn't win any scholarships and I've told my parents that it would be a lot easier if I went to a university that was cheaper but they insisted that I go to this school.

I feel like I am not worthy of all of this money. It seems like a huge waste, to be honest. When I think about the ridiculous price of universities in the US, I get worries about the fact that I will not be able to repay my parents. I think about how much would be expected from me once I graduate this university since it is so expensive and what if I don't fulfil these expectations?

Anyone else having these thoughts?

Replies to: I feel spoiled for going to a private university

• bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,385 Forum Champion
    Think of the reverse...you really want this private U but your parents can only afford East State College and you insiste and whine and shout. That is being spoiled.

Your parents deciding that this University is something that is worth the price...because of education, connections, opportunities, reputation...and you going and doing the best you can? That is not spoiled.

My Dad paid for a private school for me...I thought my obligation was to go and do the best job I could! WHich I did..and when I grew up, I paid for college for my kids.

Your payback to them will not be financial, most likely, but succeeding at the college doing well, and helping your kids pay for their college.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,294 Super Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Yes, work hard and make your parents proud! And take it from a mom - if you were to send them a thank you note by snail mail, it would mean the world to them.

Sometimes I feel spoiled, even at age 55, because my parents still do nice things for us. In June, they're taking DH and me to South Africa again - it will be my fifth trip there with them. But my dad has done well and enjoys spoiling us, so I guess I'll just have to take it, ha.
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 3,951 Senior Member
    Spoiled people don't worry about the impact on others, you are worried about your parents, the likely sign of a grateful child. It's not about whether or not you are worthy. It's about what your parents value and that they are willing to pay for what they value. They want the best for you. The fact that they can afford an expensive school is good fortune for you. Do your best, send your parents that thank you card mentioned above and call them at least once a week. They are going to miss you. Continue to appreciate them.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,578 Senior Member
    I second the thank you note in the mail idea!
    It likely makes your parents happy and proud to send you there. Most parents feel there is no better way to spend money than on kids' education.
    You would be spoiled if you didnt recognize what a terrific gift that is and proceeded to grow it away partying four nights a week or staying inside your room talking with no one. I assume that's not your plan so make the best of the opportunity afforded to you.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 4,828 Senior Member
    In life, it's better to practice gratitude than guilt. It sounds like you have a great foundation and opportunity.

Parents want the best for their kids. Take their gift knowing it was given with love, not an expectation of payback. Their wishes for you are not transactional.
This discussion has been closed.